Help please: Local notebooks deleted

Hi there fellow Evernote users

It seems my Mac has automatically upgraded to the latest version of Evernote. 

In doing so it deleted all notebooks from my account (basic)

Now: I have some files on the web-based account (I know these are preserved as I can access them on my iPhone)

But the local (ie.non-sync'd) files have disappeared, I fear deleted. 

I have not synced evernote on my mac in case this will interrupt any potential recovery. 

I have had a look for the local notes in: user/library/application support/evernote - to no avail. 

Was unable to find "~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/ApplicationSupport/Evernote/account/<my username>, but I think I downloaded mine directly anyhow. 

Any magic suggestions out there or is this a lost cause?

Phin

• Level 5*

Most likely all your Notes in Local Notebooks are still there, but for some reason the updated EN Mac is not finding them.

This sometime happens with an update.

Let's start with a simple fix:

1. Backup everything in the Evernote folder on your Mac.
  2. Do a simple reinstall of EN Mac app

1. This only replaces the Evernote.app, and should not cause any harm to your Notes.

Let us know how it goes, and if that doesn't fix your issue we'll provide more complex fixes.

EDIT:

If that does not fix your issue and your are running the AppStore version, then you might want to switch to the Direct Download version at Evernote.com.

Hi 

So using the option key in the "about Evernote' window, I came across local notes in html format - looking like we are on the right track!

Uninstalled and then re-installed the Evernote app, but it is coming up blank (again, have not sync'd). 

I wondered if the next step would be to uninstall and the re-install the direct download version?

The database folder was in: Application support -> com.evernote.Evernote -> accounts -> www.evernote.com -> <7-digit-number>

• Level 5*

I wondered if the next step would be to uninstall and the re-install the direct download version?

Yes, that would be a good next step.

Don't delete anything other than the Evernote.app file.

Then download from Evernote.com and install.

Evernote employees have stated several times that the installer is smart enough to recognize you are switching from AppStore to Direct D/L.

Good luck!

OK

So uninstalled and re-installed both the app and direct download versions in turn

Gave each a few tries, being sure to delete disk images etc, rebooting each time

Evernote is working fine, but the notebooks and notes are still not appearing - it is just blank (I still am not syncing)

Went through the "import files" section but that didn't allow me to bring in the html docs in either case. 

I am reassured that there are individual folders with html notes in the database folder... now, how to get these back into Evernote!

Any further suggestions? 

• Level 5*

Well, darn!  I really thought that would work!

You probably need to get Evernote Support involved at this point.

Why don't you go ahead and submit a "Data Lost" report (click on the bug report link below, but then choose "Data Lost" on the form), and then post your Ticket# here when you get the auto-response email.

I'll try to get someone from Evernote to look at it.

If you have a Premium acct, you can also take advantage of EN Chat Support.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report Data Loss", and start the Ticket Title with "Data Loss:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug or data loss should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

OK thanks for your help JMichael, here is my support ticket #:

Your issue has been assigned support ticket #1189532

Thanks for troubleshooting this as far as you did JM.

Hi iamphineas--we had a high level tech reach out to you on Wednesday for more info and are looking into this. 

Archived