Cool idea, cool features, and major alienation. (Question within)

Hello Community,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask...

I've been a fan of Evernote since 2009. I am the occasional Evernote user, far from being a power user.

• There may have been a "recent changes to your account" email I missed prior, but I just found out most rudely through a bounceback email that as of July 15, 2015 sending notes via email to my Evernote account is a premium/plus service now.

• You are allowed 5 such notes freely. Not per month, 5 total. Since July 15 this year I've had exactly zero. The Q/A within the website support says I should be able to send 5 notes after July 15, 2015 but it might be counting all the emails I've sent previously and therefore I need to delete some of those old email notes.

• What is even more alienating, I can't even provide feedback or ask a question to Evernote Support direct. That feature is reserved for premium and plus members. I get it; my free-loading non-paying occasional use of the service is not conducive to a profitable business model.

All that aside, I have options. There are two levels of pay to use services - neither of which will retain me as a user of Evernote. I wish the Evernote team great success in their deliberate approach to monetize their efforts without causing further alienation to people like myself. Parting will be sweet sorrow.

I rather liked the ability to send email notes. I'll have to find an alternative service. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

TJ

Evernote will not retain you as a user because of the cost of Plus or Premium... or is it because of the excess of additional paid features that you would not absolutely need?

Hi Frank,

Yes, cost.  I am an infrequent user.  I can't justify the $2 per month ($24.99 per year middle-tier Plus subscription) to get a cool feature back I was getting for free.

Infrequent is relative.  I looked at my frequency of use and I used the EMAIL to Evernote feature 35 times in the last 7 months (or approximately 5 times per month on average).

I read in another post where you suggested using Pocket as a middleman.  That sounds cool, I might give that a try.  And I also read about Microsoft OneNote in another forum.

Thanks,

TJ

TJ, 

I understand the need for certain features as a must, and the relative worth of the cost involved. I was just wondering whether it was worth the time and effort moving to a new platform VS. other means of getting into Evernote what you would have previously emailed in, albeit less convenient or even a PITA.

1. Worst case scenario would be copy pasting your emails into Evernote. If you're on desktop you can select your email content (text) and hit Ctrl+Alt+V to automatically paste that content to a new note.

2. We have the Web clipper which clips Gmail emails to Evernote in a way more elegant manner.

I'm wondering whether the benefit of moving over to any new platform for a mail-to feature (and the time invested) would be worth it, considering an average of 5 emails per month needing a manual copy over to Evernote. Dunno. Maybe it would be on principle. 

A little spoiler for now: the conclusion the masses in general have come to (those who've put both EN and ON through their paces) is that Evernote is the superior of the two in many areas. However, some EN power users have made the move mainly because of scaling issues, which you wouldn't likely run into, given your track record, since these users had upwards of 20,000 notes in EN. 

• You are allowed 5 such notes freely. Not per month, 5 total. Since July 15 this year I've had exactly zero. The Q/A within the website support says I should be able to send 5 notes after July 15, 2015 but it might be counting all the emails I've sent previously and therefore I need to delete some of those old email notes.

Deleting old email notes will not help. If they are send to the Evernote mail address they are counted

Deleting old email notes will not help. If they are send to the Evernote mail address they are counted

Thanks Mort,

So true. I read wrong... I appreciate your pointing that out...

How does this affect existing Basic subscribers who already save emails into Evernote?

After July 15, 2015, you can continue saving up to five more emails into Evernote. After you send your fifth email, you won't be able to save any additional emails into Evernote until you've upgraded to Evernote Plus or Premium.

Source: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/94691268

Regards,

TJ

• Level 5*

Correct, the recent change had no impact on any emails previously sent to your EN account.  Just no email sending in the new free user tier.  Not sure if there is an expiration date on the five mentioned in the email.

Thanks Mort,

So true. I read wrong... I appreciate your pointing that out...

How does this affect existing Basic subscribers who already save emails into Evernote?

After July 15, 2015, you can continue saving up to five more emails into Evernote. After you send your fifth email, you won't be able to save any additional emails into Evernote until you've upgraded to Evernote Plus or Premium.

Source: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/94691268

Regards,

TJ

Thanks CS,

But this part (highlighted above) was not (or never) true. :ph34r:

It's okay - I have yet tried Pocket as a "middleman" or OneNote as an alternative since losing the FREE Email a note to Evernote account feature (to the middle tier -1st paid program level), which goes to show how infrequent I use Evernote Basic.

Regards,

TJ

Archived