How to stop it...?

Hi there!

As of the (several) updates in the last weeks my Evernote now shows an annoying behavior: every single time I try to add a new note it suddenly, while I'm writing, selects the note bellow and then show them together on the screen, asking me if I want to merge them. That of course prevents me from writing and forces me to separate them before resuming...

I find this very annoying, as it breaks the rhythm of my thoughts... Is there a way to prevent  it from happening?

Also something I always wanted to ask: is there a way to make "paste as plain text" the default pasting?

Thanks in advance, 

TB.

• Level 5*

Hi there.  Windows / Mac ? 

AFAIK there's no way to select a default paste style. 

As to the additional note being selected - is it possible you're inadvertently touching the wrong key or moving the mouse to select another note?  If your screen focus is on a note window I don't see how another note could self-select.  Try opening the note in its own window and closing the main app window - then at least you won't see the pop-up appear..

Hi there.  Windows / Mac ? 

AFAIK there's no way to select a default paste style. 

As to the additional note being selected - is it possible you're inadvertently touching the wrong key or moving the mouse to select another note?  If your screen focus is on a note window I don't see how another note could self-select.  Try opening the note in its own window and closing the main app window - then at least you won't see the pop-up appear..

Maybe something you're typing triggers a shortcut combination.

Hi! Thank you for your answer!

I'm using Windows.

I also thought I was typing some key or shortcut combination and so I kept watching for it, and that doesn't seems to be the case.

I'll post a link bellow to two screenshots merged that may give you a better idea of what is happening...

Here how it happens: whenever I want to write a new note I click on the "new note" button (1). That deselects the note I was writing before. Then, when I give it a second of pause, to think, the note automatically "acquires" a title taken from the text, AND at the same time selects the note below it at (2). Then, after a few seconds, the screen changes to "b)" and the space I use to type in becomes (3), thus preventing me to write more. So as you can see the "auto selection" and posterior change to the "merge mode" happens when I'm not writing at all! Thus it can't be a hotkey problem... :/

Hope that despite my lack of proficiency in English I have managed to give an idea of what is happening... :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/d0MNPws_Y43HXRoXmFctpifVVMMmuytzDC3QDBpPGQ=w1601-h955-no

• Level 5*

Somehow two notes are getting selected in the middle panel.  This typically requires a Shift click or a Ctrl click action.  If you aren't doing either of those, by accident or otherwise, then not clear to me how what you describe is happening.  That would mean filing a bug report.

• Level 5*

Here how it happens: whenever I want to write a new note I click on the "new note" button (1). That deselects the note I was writing before. Then, when I give it a second of pause, to think, the note automatically "acquires" a title taken from the text, AND at the same time selects the note below it at (2). Then, after a few seconds, the screen changes to "b)" and the space I use to type in becomes (3), thus preventing me to write more. So as you can see the "auto selection" and posterior change to the "merge mode" happens when I'm not writing at all! Thus it can't be a hotkey problem... :/

Hope that despite my lack of proficiency in English I have managed to give an idea of what is happening... :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/d0MNPws_Y43HXRoXmFctpifVVMMmuytzDC3QDBpPGQ=w1601-h955-no

This is indeed very strange.  I'm with @csihilling, I don't see how this could happen without either a CTRL-click or SHIFT-click on the 2nd Note.  I did a fair amount of testing, and could not reproduce your behavior.

If you could record a video of the steps you take, that shows the mouse, it would be very helpful.

One thing you might try is to restart your PC, and make sure no other apps, or helpers in the System Tray, are running.  Make sure you don't have any special apps running that run in the background, like AutoHotKey, PhaseExpress, etc.

Then open ONLY Evernote, and carefully go through the steps to reproduce the behavior.  See if you get the same result.

Somehow two notes are getting selected in the middle panel.  This typically requires a Shift click or a Ctrl click action.  If you aren't doing either of those, by accident or otherwise, then not clear to me how what you describe is happening.  That would mean filing a bug report.

This is indeed very strange.  I'm with @csihilling, I don't see how this could happen without either a CTRL-click or SHIFT-click on the 2nd Note.  I did a fair amount of testing, and could not reproduce your behavior.

If you could record a video of the steps you take, that shows the mouse, it would be very helpful.

One thing you might try is to restart your PC, and make sure no other apps, or helpers in the System Tray, are running.  Make sure you don't have any special apps running that run in the background, like AutoHotKey, PhaseExpress, etc.

Then open ONLY Evernote, and carefully go through the steps to reproduce the behavior.  See if you get the same result.

Thank you, guys! I'm trying to record it on video of it! :)

Archived