Note Refers to a Link that Does Not Exist on This Computer

seurat01

Attached is a file showing a message that I'm getting when I clip items on the web.  I have no idea what this means.  I don't use links, though I may have tried a few some time ago.

I've tried searching the net, the help section, etc. but I haven't found anything that clarifies what this means and how to get it resolved.  It's very annoying as I have to click on it every time I save a note.

Thanks,

Wayne

Hmm, 'm sure that it was attached. 

I don't see any way to attach anything to this reply.  In any case, the title of my original note is part of the message.  The entire message is:

"Note refers to a link that does not exist on this computer.  Do you want to synchronize and retrieve it from the server."

Wayne

• Level 5*

Hi.  Does this happen with every note or just some?  And when you download content from the server is this a picture,  a file or just a web page?

Hi,

I encounter it when I'm clipping articles, or selections on the web.  

I typically use Chrome and I have the Evernote extension installed.  When I click on the extension to save an article, selection, screen shot, etc. I get a pop up on the upper right that shows that Evernote is cllipping and then synching.  It finishes by indicating that the item has been clipped.

That pop up has a link to the clip.  I originally thought that clicking on that link would open the note in Evernote.  I did it originally to modify some tags, etc. Instead, the link opens the note in a Chrome tab.  It's at that point that I see a message on the Task Bar (associated with the Evernote icon) that gives me the message, "note refers to a note that doesn't exist ......".  It gives me the option to sync the note, but I don't understand why I would have to do that as the pop up originally indicated that the note was synced.

I've checked and it appears that the clipper doesn't actually sync the note to Evernote, despite what the popup indicates.  I'm sure the problem here is operator error - I simply don't understand the mechanics of what Evernote is doing.  It's confusing, though.  One of the great features of Evernote is that it automatically syncs things so having a manual synch option is surprising.

Wayne

• Level 5*

I think what's happening here is that the Chrome browser extension is saving the clip back to the online server,  not to your locally installed Evernote desktop.  When you click on the link,  it's saying (correctly) that the note isn't stored locally,  and that it will have to download the content to display it.  If you waited until the installed EN had a chance to sync automatically,  the note would be available for you.  Clicking after it has just been clipped means you're effectively requesting a manual sync.  I don't believe there's an option to save the clip locally in Windows Chrome,  though it is possible in Firefox.  Check your clipper options by right-clicking the elephant to confirm...

• Level 5*

What Gaz said., go to EN, sync and add the tags there.  Or you can add the tags and set the notebook as you get the clip if you like.

Archived