Storage usage on iPhone and iPad not correct in iOS settings

Hello,

On my iPad and iPhone the menu option for reviewing the storage usage by apps is: settings - general - usage - manage storage 

Evernote used to show up here as one of the top users on my devices with about 3 gb. Now it's just showing 291 mb on iPhone and 479 mb on iPad.

I am a premium user and have downloaded all notes for offline usage.  All the notes appear to be downloaded and are available for use when the iPhone (or iPad) are in airplane mode. So, it seems all the 8000+ notes are downloaded on both devices.

Looks like iOS (or EN) does not report the true usage of Evernote. Anyone have the same result? 

Thanks, David

• Level 5*

@dalw:

This does indeed sound like a mystery.  But then the way that the Apple iOS devices manage memory is also somewhat undisclosed.

Things that may contribute to the storage used/reported for Evernote:
  1. EN may put Notes, attachments, etc into temp storage (called "cache")
  2. Generally, it appears that EN does not proactively release this cache, but only when requested to do so by the iOS system.
  3. So, perhaps at one time you had opened a number of large Notes and/or large attachments, which could contribute to the 3GB you saw earlier
  4. If you happened to have different Offline NBs, and/or different usage of your various iOS devices, then they might report different storage used.

I must say that most of this is speculation, since both Apple and Evernote release very little on how storage works.

I have 13K+ Notes, with about 4 Offline NBs, and the iOS reports Evernote storage at 745MB.

Bottom line, this is not an issue that we can likely resolve to our satisfaction.  Unless the Evernote storage on your iOS devices becomes very excessive, a large percent of total, then I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it as long as you can access your offline Notebooks when you are offline.

Good luck.

• Level 5*

David,

I have the same experience.  EN usage used to be accurate to the best of my knowledge, don't know when it changed. 

Anyhow, in my case IOS shows 144MBkb of EN storage.  The main notebook I use offline when backed up to an ENEX file is 6GB.  So, methinks something is wrong with the 144k on IOS, be it an Apple or EN issue.  The totals under IOS appear to be right to me, it's just the EN total that is out of bed. 

To JM's point, not much use in worrying about it unless the total IOS storage approaches max.

EDIT:  MB vs kb, oops.

Thank you for the replies. My guess is EN is not reporting correctly to iOS and probably something in a recent version update in EN has changed the storage reporting. It is a guess !

My aim is really to alert the EN folks to some possible weird behaviour in the app.

A few weeks back I fully converted in iOS to Photos (from iPhotos) and wondered what the storage impact was on my iPad. When checking I noticed Evernote was at a low few hundred mbytes. Normally it had been at 3-5 Gigabytes.

I have all my 8000+ notes stored in offline mode. On both the iPhone and iPad I have maximum storage option so it is OK to have Evernote using loads of gigabytes - I expect that. 

What is strange now is with the 8000+ notes both devices show Evernote using only a few hundred mbytes. So, something is wrong. My guess is EN is not doing something right for iOS. iOS does seem to be reporting the other apps OK and those using lots of storage remain high on the list (the only change I've seen is EN).

For me it's not a worry - I have storage available and I have (it seems) all the EN notes available in offline mode.

Again, a guess - in the next or later version of EN it will all go back to being right and EN showing several g bytes of usage according to iOS (as it should do).

An update: I deleted Evernote on iPad and total usage result on using the iOS reporting (settings - general - usage - manage storage) fell by 6 Gigabytes - about what I expected. Re-installed and left it to sync overnight. The 6 Gbytes came back but EN is still listed as using only a few hundred megabytes.

• Level 5*

An update: I deleted Evernote on iPad and total usage result on using the iOS reporting (settings - general - usage - manage storage) fell by 6 Gigabytes - about what I expected. Re-installed and left it to sync overnight. The 6 Gbytes came back but EN is still listed as using only a few hundred megabytes.

This sounds like an Apple iOS bug to me.  As strictly controlled as iOS is, I don't think iOS app developers could hide storage, certainly not of that magnitude.

The problem is that this might be occurring with other apps as well.  So it makes one wonder about the reliability of the Apple iOS storage report.

If this concerns you, you might want to post a bug report at the Apple Feedback site.

Well I'm curious rather than worried. As long as all the notes are available I don't care too much as I always get the max storage on iPhones and iPads. 

The restore shows the total usage on the iPad going down by the 7 gigabytes and then coming back as the data gets re-synced (all my notes which I keep offline). So, the total on iPad is OK, the usage for Evernote is now wrong. It used to show up OK but now shows 252 mbytes.

I agree with JMichael that this must be an iOS bug as otherwise all the various app designers would be hiding their storage usage.  

Archived