Desktop clashes w Web Version

I am running the desktop version and at one time also established an on-line account which I thought was inactive.  

Now I am unable to boot my Windows version, when I double click the .exe file I am re-routed to my online account.  I am fine converting to the on-line version now and leaving the desktop behind at this time; that being the case, do I run the <uninstall> in Windows to delete all my local files?

• Level 5*

Open the windows version of EN an go to Tools - Options - General and find the location of your data base.  You can then use Revo uninstaller to remove the program and use windows explorer to delete the directory location of our files.

In the above since you double click the EN icon and end up on the the web it sounds like that icon is a link to evernote.com and not to the Evernote program.  Have you checked the properties of the desktop icon?

The web and the desktop apps use the same exact user account. They are essentially the same thing, but provide you with two different user interfaces. The web UI is useful for situation when you might not be using your own computer, when you are traveling for example.

It sounds like the icon on your desktop is taking you to the web version of Evernote because it is a browser bookmark. Delete the icon if you wish. It will not harm anything.

The Windows local version of Evernote is faster and more powerful than the web version. I recommend that you continue to use this version. I do not recommend that you delete your local database unless you know why you are doing so.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It seems that when I <logout> of the desktop version I am unable to restart the program locally - instead the system insists on launch the web version.  I've completely removed / reloaded the desktop version and moved the data files.   Something obvious I am missing?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\"

Use add/remove programs to remove the Evernote app.

Do you still see an icon on your desktop? If you do, click it. If it takes you to the web, this is a web bookmark and has nothing to do the desktop app.

- If this web browser bookmark icon takes you to the web and you do not want it to do this. Delete it.

Re-install the desktop version of Evernote from here www.evernote.com/products/

• Level 5*

Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It seems that when I <logout> of the desktop version I am unable to restart the program locally - instead the system insists on launch the web version.  I've completely removed / reloaded the desktop version and moved the data files.   Something obvious I am missing?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\"

Sounds like the Evernote install/setup on your PC has become corrupted in some manner.

Rather than do a Windows Uninstall, you may want to use an app uninstaller, like Revo, to make sure everything related to Evernote is removed from your system.

See Procedure for Clean Reinstall of Evernote Windows Using Revo

Archived