Request: Keep Tag Case as Typed (Please type the word as I type it...)

mrstucci

Idea

Hi-I am wondering if you could 'fix' the way that Evernote seemingly capitalizes letters in a tag. For instance, this morning I am typing the last name Pearson as a tag. Evernote decides it's PEarson. I don't want it that way. Other examples: Abingdon, England is typed as ABingdon, England; Donolly, Australia becomes DoNolly, Australia; Don McCarty becomes DoN McCarty....

If there is some trick to just type and have them appear as I want, not as Evernote wants, please let me know. Thanks, Judy

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - Evernote doesn't -normally- randomly capitalise words,  though it is possible when setting up a tag,  to have the name you type overwritten by an already existing misspelled version.  Have a look at your tags list - are there several tags for the words you are having problems with?  If you select all the notes with variations on a Pearson tag and re-tage them with a "TEMP" tag (use something different if you have one of those) then delete the existing tags and re-tag all the notes with a single,  correctly capitalised tag,  that should solve the problem.

• Level 5*

I deleted your duplicate post (with the added PS),  but I saw that you know about renaming tags.  That is,  of course,  another option;  but I'd repeat - Evernote,  within limits,  accepts exactly what you type - the only exception being the Tag "suggestions" feature which pops up with similar tags and can replace what you wanted.

• Level 5*

Hi-I am wondering if you could 'fix' the way that Evernote seemingly capitalizes letters in a tag. For instance, this morning I am typing the last name Pearson as a tag. Evernote decides it's PEarson. I don't want it that way. Other examples: Abingdon, England is typed as ABingdon, England; Donolly, Australia becomes DoNolly, Australia; Don McCarty becomes DoN McCarty....

If there is some trick to just type and have them appear as I want, not as Evernote wants, please let me know. Thanks, Judy

Judy,

Evernote Mac does not do the auto-correct or auto-capitalization that you are seeing.  It is most likely coming from your Mac System Preferences > Keyboard > Text.  Check this and make adjustments as necessary.  You can even turn off  "Correct spelling automatically".

Judy,

Evernote Mac does not do the auto-correct or auto-capitalization that you are seeing.  It is most likely coming from your Mac System Preferences > Keyboard > Text.  Check this and make adjustments as necessary.  You can even turn off  "Correct spelling automatically".

No it does. Here is how you recreate this bug:

Add a tag with the first letter capitalized for a first letter you do not already have, like “Xodus”

now in another note, type something like “Xray”

“xray” will be matched to the capitalized “X*” and when you finish writing the tag, it remains capitalized.

I wrote support about this and thought it had been fixed, but apparently not. 

Note: auto-correct is turned off on my systems for other bug-inducing reasons.

The only workaround it to lowercase ALL of your tags and only use lowercase tags, otherwise any new tag with the first letter in common with an uppercased tag will end up capitalized. This is a huge PITA, and I can’t tag things that should be uppercased, such as “Fowler” and “Zend” because of it. It is a minor frustration but a major interrupt to the cognitive processes of writing notes. When apps interrupt this process it often results in loss of efficiency. So, even though this is technically minor, UX-wise it is major, IMO.

• Level 5*

Add a tag with the first letter capitalized for a first letter you do not already have, like “Xodus”

“xray” will be matched to the capitalized “X*” and when you finish writing the tag, it remains capitalized.

The only workaround it to lowercase ALL of your tags and only use lowercase tags, otherwise any new tag with the first letter in common with an uppercased tag will end up capitalized. This is a huge PITA, and I can’t tag things that should be uppercased, such as “Fowler” and “Zend” because of it. It is a minor frustration but a major interrupt to the cognitive processes of writing notes. When apps interrupt this process it often results in loss of efficiency. So, even though this is technically minor, UX-wise it is major, IMO.

My apologies.  I misunderstood the behavior being described.

You are correct.  When you assigning a Tag to a Note, as you type Evernote will auto-search, auto-match what you are typing with your existing Tags.  IMO, this is a tremendous benefit.

However, I also see, and agree with your issue of auto-capitalization.  It is an annoyance.

What I do to overcome this is continue typing the new Tag name I want, and then, using the arrow keys, move back to the letters I do NOT want capitalized, delete them and type the lower case, which will now stick.

I know, this is a PITA.

My apologies.  I misunderstood the behavior being described.

You are correct.  When you assigning a Tag to a Note, as you type Evernote will auto-search, auto-match what you are typing with your existing Tags.  IMO, this is a tremendous benefit.

However, I also see, and agree with your issue of auto-capitalization.  It is an annoyance.

What I do to overcome this is continue typing the new Tag name I want, and then, using the arrow keys, move back to the letters I do NOT want capitalized, delete them and type the lower case, which will now stick.

I know, this is a PITA.

I agree in most cases it is a benefit, but the implementation is flawed. When it is not a benefit, it’s an obstruction (and a PITA) which means the behavior needs to be fixed to prevent obstructions — and the work interrupts that come with it.

It would be a benefit IF once it fails to match a previous tag, it restores your prior text. But then it would need to buffer your typing, and that would mean a larger code fix, most likely. So, instead I would recommend it abstain from modifying text until a user take a positive action (such as hitting the down arrow) to confirm the tag replacement (or hitting a space). Given my axiom, “Options are a good thing” I would suggest this behavior change be user selectable in the preferences: a checkbox that reads “wait for positive confirmation before replacing tag case” would suffice. (I would also add a “what is this?” question mark icon next to it linked to an article explaining what this means to educate users.)

I also noticed that if I only have previous lowercase tags and I type what I mean to be an all uppercase tag, it overwrites my upper case with a lower case letter but leaves the rest of the tag uppercase. 

To reproduce you can type “FCC” and if you have a lowercase f-tag first match, it will end up with a tag labeled “fCC”. So, this my corrective suggestion would probably be the best way to prevent this convenience feature from being a nuisance feature.

(Oh, BTW: I know about that trick, but when I tried it with “FCC” I got “fFCC” which is “crazy wrong.”)

Thank you for the kind reply.

• Level 5*

When creating a new Tag while in the Assign Tag block on a Note:

• IF I have an existing tag, say "STATE", and I want a new Tag of "State.capital"  THEN
  • I type "State" and EN replaces with "STATE"
  • I continue to type:  ".capital" and it shows  "STATE.capital"
  • Then I arrow back so that the cursor is just after the "E", and press BACKSPACE 4 times
  • It then shows "S.capital"
  • The cursor is just after the "S", so I type "tate", and it shows "State.capital"

This definitely is a PITA and a workaround.  But it's the best we can do until/IF Evernote makes the fix.

I agree, it would be MUCH better that as soon as I type a non-matching character, Evernote would revert to the case as I had typed it.

Archived