Hello, I'm new here and relatively new to EN. Be gentle with me. 

I got the free version a couple of weeks ago, and upgraded to Premium a couple of days ago because I exceeded the free storage capacity. 

I am flummoxed by the tag option. I am only able to add a 2-3 tags to a note then it won't let me write any more? I know that EN allows a far larger number of tags but it's not entirely clear how I do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Storage capacity is unlimited for all the different types of accounts. What differs between the accounts is upload capacity, which is probably what you mean.

As for the number of tags: there is no difference between the accounts either. Have you synchronised all your devices?

What version are you using: Windows, Mac, ..... ?

Thanks for explaining the difference between upload and storage. I had hit my upload allowable (and very quickly so). I'm using the Mac version of EN. And it's synchronized between web, Mac & iPhone. 

Maybe I'm not explaining this in the best way possible, so I will try again: When I go to put in tags to a note that I have just added to a notebook, I can only put in a few tags then I seem to hit a character limit.

I only use the Win version, so cannot comment about Mac, someone else will pick this up. However, I think it will be useful if you explain more clearly what you mean by character limit. Are you using very long names? Are you using strange characters? What exactly do you mean?

Thanks for explaining the difference between upload and storage. I had hit my upload allowable (and very quickly so). I'm using the Mac version of EN. And it's synchronized between web, Mac & iPhone. 

Maybe I'm not explaining this in the best way possible, so I will try again: When I go to put in tags to a note that I have just added to a notebook, I can only put in a few tags then I seem to hit a character limit.

For instance, on the note that finally led me to be so exasperated that I wrote here, I had added the following tags: "history," "key metrics," "overview," and then as I type the word "strategy" (obviously, this could be any other word), the word won't go any longer than strate and a half g. That's what I mean by a character limit. 

• Level 5*

Is the above occurring on your Phone, Web and Desktop?  Create a temporary note and try adding strategy as the first tag in it.

Are you trying put all that in one tag? i.e. "key metrics overview strateg" - all written in one tag's text box? If so, then yes, you've hit the character limit while creating tags.

A comma between each one will create separate tags, i.e.

Type "key metrics" then add a comma right after the S in metrics, then type "overview" then another comma, then add "strategy" and another comma if you want to keep creating new tags. Once tags are created and you've Synced UP to the Evernote Servers, then when you want to apply existing tags to a note, you'll have the choice to start typing a tag name and all the tags that start with the same first letters will appear for you to choose from, or you can just bring up your tags menu and select all the ones you want. (Hope that made sense.)

Also, I am heavily reliant on tags and some of my notes have upto 10 or more of them. So no, there is no real limit on the number of tags you can use for each note.

It's happening both on web and laptop. Thanks for being so detailed in the response about comma delimitation but it does that automatically. I just did up a dummy note and the same thing happens. I dont' want to put a screen shot up here because my EN has too much personal information. 

Question for you guys: You can just add as many tags as you like to your notes? What happens when you add a lot to your notes, do they get smaller to fit the space?

• Level 5*

I typically don't have more than 3 tags on a note, mostly 1 and 2.  I just created a dummy note and added 8 tags to it.  On the Win desktop in snippet view 5 tags are displayed and then a chevron drop down which displays the other 3.  On the iPhone all the tags display after pressing the information icon. 

I saw the behavior you mentioned when I added a ninth tag on the web. I just kept typing though and was able to add the tag.  When the tag update was complete, I just clicked on that last tag and the new tag icon was available.  Moral of the story, complete typing strategy and then click on the last tag entered to add another tag.  Screen shots to help, I hope.

After entering tag, notice the cut off tag name as you reference.

post-58142-0-25393300-1430580654_thumb.p

After clicking on the partial tag.

post-58142-0-83843100-1430580741_thumb.p

• Level 5*

It's happening both on web and laptop. Thanks for being so detailed in the response about comma delimitation but it does that automatically. I just did up a dummy note and the same thing happens. I dont' want to put a screen shot up here because my EN has too much personal information. 

Question for you guys: You can just add as many tags as you like to your notes? What happens when you add a lot to your notes, do they get smaller to fit the space?

Since you are using EN Mac, I'll try to help.

To assign (and create) tags to a Note:

1. In the Note header, click in a blank area to the right of the tag icon (Tag-icon.gif). This should be at the very top of the Note contents pane.
  2. Start typing a Tag name
  3. If there is an existing tag that starts with the text you have typed, EN will autocompete the Tag, and you can just hit RETURN to assign that tag to the Note.  Sometimes there will be more than one tag that matches, and EN will show a dropdown list.  Just use the arrow key to move down to the one you want, and press RETURN.
  4. IF you want to create a new tag and assign to the Note, just type the full tag name, and hit RETURN
  5. The key is to hit RETURN after each Tag entry.  This will allow you to enter another tag if you wish.
  6. Note that EN may not show all of the Tags assigned to the Note due to space limitations.  If you see a ". . ." then that means there are more tags.  But you can click between tags to add more.  To see all of the tags you may need to open the Note in a separate window, and expand the window width.
  7. When you're finished entering tags, press TAB.

Limits:

1. Max of 100K tags in your account
  2. Max of 100 tags assigned to a Note
  3. No limit that I know of on tag name length -- if there is it is way higher than you would want to use.

I recommend keeping tag names as short as you can and still make sense to you, and to NOT use blanks/spaces in the tag name.

If you want to separate words in the Tags name, you can use a period (".") or underscore ("_").   Some have used hypens ("-"), but there have been some issues with hyphens in EN Mac.  I have used periods for years now without any issues.

Here's a Youtube video that show how to assign tags.  It is ver EN Mac 5 (current ver is 6.0.11), but the process is still the same.

I have set the start at about 3 min when the tagging occurs.

https://youtu.be/9lYGlnMM8Ug?t=3m

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

You guys are wonderful!!! Thank you so much! I don't have time to check it out this weekend, but I want to quickly thank you for your help. :)

Another question, if I may:

What is your tag strategy? I find that the search function works so well that the tags I've used seem redundant. Yet, a lot of the info I save to EN is info that I feel should be saved for the future (that's why I got EN in the first place, because on my Windows machines I ended up having a ton of files, bookmarks, and URLs saved and the information just disappeared into a treasure trove kind of nebulus world and it was pretty hard to find afterward, let alone remember that I had saved it). In other words: I save a lot of information but I do not know - at that point in time - what I specifically want to use it for. 

Thanks again! :)

• Level 5*

What is your tag strategy? I find that the search function works so well that the tags I've used seem redundant. 

The basic Search, using just unqualified text, works fine until you get a lot of Notes, or a lot of text.  Then you run the risk of getting a lot of false positives.  IMO, using tags gives you more precise control over searching for your notes.

See The Benefit of Using Tags  

• Level 5*

@nyccph

Same as JM. As the number of notes you have increases tags help shrink the universe of the search. IMO, try and use as few tags as makes sense, and try and make them intuitive to you.

For example I store all my statements in EN (credit, bank, utility, whatever), mostly in local notebooks tagged Statement. So if Iam looking for something from a statement invoking the tag statement searches only those notes, so only 3k of the 29k I have. Makes sense to me anyway.

Archived