Refining and tagging large numbers of notes

Simply, as part of curating, I want to create subgroupings from a search result, progressively refining that initial result using different tags to create subgroups.  My objective is to search, to find all notes that contain an attached PDF, and then to create diverse sub-groupings, to each of which I will apply one or more separate tags.  My question is, does EN for Windows allow BOTH A) searching for notes that contain an attached PDF, AND using Select-Shift for selecting from the search result large numbers of notes at once?

Here's the rub: EN for Web allows searching for notes containing an attached PDF but does NOT allow Shift-Select.  Even though EN for Mac allows Shift-Select, it does NOT allow searching for notes containing an attached PDF.  I'm unfamiliar with EN for Windows's functional capabilities here.

Due to the absence of the Select-Shift function in EN for Web, the process of selecting large numbers of notes at once, tagging all that contain attached PDFs into different subgroups, will take easily 20 times as long, because I would have to use Command-Shift instead, and I have over fifteen hundred such EN notes!

So, my question is, does EN for Windows allow me BOTH A) to search for just those notes that contain an attached PDF and, from the resultant search, B ) to create different subgroups of the search result by selecting large numbers of notes at once using Select-Shift, to apply one or more tags?  

It appears impossible to do both A and B in either EN for Web or EN for Mac, because, again, EN for Web allows you to do A but not B, and EN for Mac allows B but not A.

As an old comedian used to say, “Dis iz a revoltin’ develpmunt”.  YMMV and I'm wide open to responses that question my premise, ie., my goal and assumed approach.  There may be multiple ways to skin the cat, ie., to refine a large number of EN notes into subgroups.

• Level 5
In Evernote Windows, to search for all notes with PDF files:

resource:application/pdf

Additional search parameters can be added. For instance, the following will find all notes that contain PDFs and the notes were created between January 1, 2011 and January 1, 2012 and contain the word Minnesota in the title

resource:application/pdf created:20110101 -created:20120101 intitle:Minnesota

Shift + Left-Click lets you select large groups of notes

I prefer Ctrl + Left-Click for more accurate selection of specific notes.

A tag can then be assigned to the selected notes.

• Level 5*

A and B can be done in Windows. You can also Alt  Ctrl select notes that are not contiguous.

Edit:  For DAA on Alt Select vs Ctrl Select.

• Level 5

A and B can be done in Windows. You can also Alt select notes that are not contiguous.

Alt and Select (left click) does not work in my Evernote Windows.

I use Ctrl + Left-Click 

• Level 5*

Simply, as part of curating, I want to create subgroupings from a search result, progressively refining that initial result using different tags to create subgroups.  My objective is to search, to find all notes that contain an attached PDF, and then to create diverse sub-groupings, to each of which I will apply one or more separate tags. 

Even though EN for Mac allows Shift-Select, it does NOT allow searching for notes containing an attached PDF.   

It appears impossible to do both A and B in either EN for Web or EN for Mac, because, again, EN for Web allows you to do A but not B, and EN for Mac allows B but not A.

EN Mac 6.0.7 (and many prior versions) does allow search for Notes with PDF attachments.

Try this in EN Mac Search Box:  resource:application/pdf

Or, since EN Mac supports the "Natural language" search, type this in the Search box:

notes with pdf

Archived