Evernote Web Clipper for Safari v. Firefox

DCDawg

I ran into an interesting problem: I tried to bookmark a particular page using the Evernote clipper in Safari and received the note saying that the content was restricted. I looked at the error console and the clipper produces a lot of errors, mostly trying to connect to Facebook(?) and AddThis. Since I am running AdBlock I disabled AdBlock and ClickToPlugin which could also cause problems. I restarted Safari and the page continued to cause problems. The URL to the page is

http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lynchburg/news/virginia-treasury-putting-unclaimed-coins-jewelry-up-for-auction/article_3bf0fa7a-d91c-11e4-9722-b7a52d6339a4.html

Wondering if this is a Safari issues, I opened Firefox. After making sure everything was up to date, I loaded the page. NoScript seemed to block certain parts of the page and I clicked on the option to temporarily accept scripts from newsadvance.com. Once I did that, the web clipper worked! I was able to do a bookmark clipping of that page without problems.

Has anyone seen this type of problem before? Does anyone from Evernote want to weigh in?

Scott

• Level 5*

Hi.  I opened this page in Windows Firefox without any problems and Clipper seemed happy to get a copy if necessary.  In general if Clipper can't get a page I highlight text and try 'selection',  or use Clearly,  or print the content to PDF.  Odd pages happen - it depends on the code.  I wouldn't expect anyone from Evernote to weigh in anytime soon...

Safari chose to implement CSP in a way that prevents Web Clipper from clipping certain pages. Described in detail here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66224-safari-clipper-and-content-security-policy-csp-issue/

The errors thrown in Safari that are from Safari Web Clipper are benign and most of them are actually bugs in Safari the browser. Web Clipper doesn't attempt to connect to FB or Add this unless user requests to share a note to FB. 

Safari chose to implement CSP in a way that prevents Web Clipper from clipping certain pages. Described in detail here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66224-safari-clipper-and-content-security-policy-csp-issue/

The errors thrown in Safari that are from Safari Web Clipper are benign and most of them are actually bugs in Safari the browser. Web Clipper doesn't attempt to connect to FB or Add this unless user requests to share a note to FB. 

In this case, it is not a CSP issue. Using curl, I was able to dump the headers of the page in question and there is no Content-Security-Policy header. Using a script that I sometimes use to scrape webpages, I had it go through and download all of the pages from the same website (as opposed to things like Google Analytics, etc.). There was no Content-Security-Policy header in any of the downloads.

I do not know how the web clipper is implemented (I have not bothered to look into it), but it does seem that there may be a problem with the webpage itself. There is at least one unbalanced script tags that Safari does not seem to close but Firefox figured out and is acting if it closed--or at the minimum, Firefox is running the plugin as a discrete item as opposed to Safari running it in the same instance. Since I am thinking that the web clipper may be written in Javascript, that could be an issue.

Yes, I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years. I think a know a thing-or-two about programming!

Archived