jbignert

Safari Clipper and Content Security Policy (CSP) issue

Idea

Hi all,

We are getting increasing feedback from Safari Web Clipper users of problems clipping certain sites. One reason in these cases can be caused by how Safari have chosen to enforce Content Security Policy (CSP) headers.

Summary of CSP:

- It's a 'setting' of sorts, that site publishers can set that limits what bookmarklets and extensions can do on their site.

- In Safari this may cause the Web Clipper to not being able to execute any code and thus not being able to start.

- More info about CSP is available here: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSP/

Typical signs of a CSP issue:

- When clicking the Web Clipper toolbar button absolutely nothing happens. (i.e no Web Clipper UI will load)

How to determine if the site is having restrictive CSP settings:

- See this Skitched tutorial for a guide.

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAwMRDf060tB94tLsqW1TK2dNxvFGBuroh4 

What can be done about it?

- At this point there is nothing that we can 'fix' in the Web Clipper. We are blocked by Safari from running any code.

- At the moment Chrome and other browser haven't implemented CSP the same way so clipping in those browser should work fine if the root cause is CSP.  

7 people like this

57 replies to this idea

Thanks for the heads up jbignert.  If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you add this as an article to your KB, and maybe even a note on the Web Clipper download/install page.

4 people like this

My problem is that it sometimes works and at other times clicking on the Web Clipper icon does not work - it's not consistent.

Any new developments?

1 person likes this

I will second that emotion, jmichael. It is frustrating to have the clipper not work and spend a lot of time searching to finally come up with a clear answer on the issue.

Please save everyone's time and get the news out that web clipper won't work in Safari so we can all decide our work arounds it until it does! Thanks.

2 people like this

An easy work-around! 

Enable the Safari Developer menu (Preferences:Advanced), and when on a page you want to clip, choose Open With Evernote from the Developer menu.

5 people like this

But it can't be the CSP policy causing the web clipper refusal message  because right now every page in Safari 8.0.4 is getting the same rejection when I click the elephant head.   That includes this page, apple.com pages, etc.   That would suggest that he Safari web clipper is looking for something too common on which to base its' rejection.  

As others have noted the problem does not exist with Chrome but Safari is my preferred browser.

Thanks you vas for your right-click suggestion.  That copies the page to evernote and even subsequently the elephant head selection gets rejected.   

2 people like this

I am getting CSP messages seemingly at random.  For the same page that using the icon gives the message, the keyboard shortcut works.  For other pages it is the reverse.  Sometimes I just need to try more than once with the same method!  What the...?  My problems have just started, a few days ago, so I think they are tied to the March 20, 2015 Safari and Security updates.  I am running Yosemite (10.10.2)

1 person likes this

I just noted you can ctrl/right-click and select "Save full page to Evernote" and that works.

3 people like this

I just noted you can ctrl/right-click and select "Save full page to Evernote" and that works.

I ran into this issue twice today. On one site, absolutely nothing happened when I clicked the Evernote web clipper button.  hitting Ctrl/Right-click and selecting "Save full page to Evernote" did not work there either. 

On another site, the 'error' window appeared when I clicked on the Evernote web clipper button (which sent me to this discussion thread, thankfully), and there, the "save full page to Evernote" trick did work.   

2 people like this

i've run into this frequently the last few days. anyone have a button we can install on safari that can take us to chrome and pre-populate the address there?

on second thought, i can't be bothered. tools that don't work as required get replaced.

as we speak, making google chrome my primary browser with apple safari as secondary.

1 person likes this

I just had this problem for the first time on Safari.

Right click and Save full page to Evernote works saving the full page with actual formatting, the title of the note being the title of the page.

Open the page in Evernote from the Develop menu also works but saves a RTF/text version, the title of the note being the URL of the page.

Just choose the one you like until is solved… or forever  :)

ETA:

PS. forgot to say thanks for the tips! :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

A very simple workaround that works for me in Safari on a Macbook: at the first click on Evernote Webclipper I get the notification. At the second click I get the usual screen and can save whatever I choose.

4 people like this

A very simple workaround that works for me in Safari on a Macbook: at the first click on Evernote Webclipper I get the notification. At the second click I get the usual screen and can save whatever I choose.

That works for me too.   A good intermediate fix until Evernote fixes this.   Thanks Dees.

Thanks Dees and raenur. 

Both of the workarounds worked for me as well! 

On my iMac. 

Thanks for the discussion and workarounds everyone. I'm liking clicking the WebClipper more than once, which has also worked for me. But it's nice to have alternatives just in case. Hoping Evernote will fix this glitch soon.

Another Safari workaround: File > Print > PDF > Save to Evernote. Works better for multipage docs and PDFs.

1 person likes this

A work around Safari will not clip : I have found that selecting a part of text for clipping then choosing "article" in the dialog box resolves the problem.

2 people like this

This is really not cool.  It is happening more and more often. I just want to clip an email message.  Onenote can clip them.

This is really not cool.  It is happening more and more often. I just want to clip an email message.  Onenote can clip them.

I just tried clipping an email from gmail in my Safari browser and you are correct, it doesn't work.  However, 2 of the workarounds suggested here did work.  1) print ->pdf -> save to evernote, and 2) clicking the elephant icon in the browser 2 times.  The first time it says it can't copy, the 2nd time it pops up the web clipper.   Not ideal, but workable.

1 person likes this

You can get around this in Safari by clicking on the Reader View, then emailing the content to your Evernote email address. You can't highlight as in Clipper but it saves the content nicely. 

1 person likes this

I just tried clicking clipper button twice, and at least on this particular page it worked. To me, this is an indication that it is not safari but, the evernote extension. Perhaps a safari update broke the extension. I can't correlate an update with clipper starting to issue these errors, but that would make the most sense. The majority of pages I try to clip in safari recently have stopped working.

Thanks to all who offered the work arounds.

Steven

1 person likes this

That works for me too.   A good intermediate fix until Evernote fixes this.   Thanks Dees.

Thanks Dees and raenur. 

Both of the workarounds worked for me as well! 

On my iMac. 

Yep, the double-tap is working for me too.  Not ideal but my workflow is not adversely affected but the extra action, especially as I am using the keyboard shortcut.  I hope a proper fix is issued soon though.

Thanks,   Dees. This work-around is the only one that worked for me on my MacBook Pro. And thank goodness. I just upped my subscription to Premium because I knew I'd be doing a lot of genealogy research in the next month and this was really bumming me out! I've found the problem increasing daily until today it was every single time I tried to use Web Clipper. 

This works for me also.

I was getting this problem on every page I tried to clip.  The workaround of clicking twice seemed to work.  However , on the advice of Evernote Support, I deleted and reinstalled the clipper extension.  That seems to have solved the problem.