Evernote limits

• Level 5*

On what device(s) ?  And how many notes?

I'm currently up to 19,400 notes and change without major issues,  and (subject to caveats about unsynced notes and Local Notebooks) it's possible to download the entire refreshed database from the server in a couple of hours.  Some of my colleagues have discouraging things to say about 20,000+ notes,  but I haven't seen their problems yet...

And the nice thing about Evernote is that free accounts are,  well,  free..  and I can probably archive off older notes into a different account if things get too sluggish.

• Level 5

Hi guys.

What is your experience with large evernote database? How many notes evernote can handle without any significant slowdown? Any advices how to keep db in descent shape?

Evernote claims you can have up to 100,000 notes.

I have not heard of any user hitting this number in a single account. And I have not seen anything from an Evernote employee to confirm this has been actually tested (and what criteria was used - type of notes, size of notes, impact on speed, etc.).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There are some tricks to clean up your database, but Evernote is rather quiet on these features. They prefer you discuss this directly with their customer support first. Their usual recommendation is to backup, then completely uninstall Evernote, reinstall, and sync from the cloud. (* see my additional comment at the bottom)

Here is a forum thread with a lot of mileage (over 400 posts) on various issues from actual users, including problems with large databases.

* Edit:  There is a new method to optimize Evernote
While holding down the ctrl key, click on the 'Help' menu. Several items have moved there to make it easier for support. It's easier for Evernote support to instruct someone to hold the ctrl key - rather than getting them to add the debug_menu option to the shortcut.

24,196 notes down the road and I am able to search the whole bang shoot on my mobile devices upon a fresh install of the app within minutes. Phenomenal.

The desktop client: no issues yet. 

• Level 5

Last year, when I hit 30,000 notes and encountered speed problems, Evernote Support (2nd tier) suggested I split my data into two individual accounts.

After splitting them, my solution has been to continue to use Evernote for web clips and old stuff.

And use WorkFlowy, One Note, Google Keep, Drop Box and One Drive for my current stuff. (spreading the risk)

Archived