Will my Evernote database be automatically backed up to the cloud ?

REGARDING EVERNOTE BACKUPS 

I installed evernote a day or two ago. 

will my  everynote database be automatically backed up to the cloud ? 

if I don't get an email alert to a response to this post, is there a way to

turn on such a feature?

• Ex Employees

I believe that you are referring to your account syncing to the Evernote servers. I don't know the device you are using, but syncing should automatically occur across all your devices. 

Our Knowledge Base has a great article on how syncing works in your accounts: 

All of your notes (unless stored in a local -- that is, not synchronized -- notebook) are synchronized to Evernote Web. Evernote's servers house a copy of all synced notes because all of the Evernote client applications, both mobile and desktop, connect to Evernote on the web to get the latest version of the notes for each user.

Evernote's service and software applications are arranged in what's called a "hub-and-spoke" configuration. This means that every single sync operation that takes place will involve Evernote on the web (the "hub"). For instance, if you initiate a sync from Evernote on your desktop computer, any new or updated content will be uploaded to Evernote on the Web so they'll be ready to be downloaded when any of your other devices initiate a subsequent sync.

Occasionally, two copies of the same note will be found to be in conflict. This could arise when a given note is edited in two different locations before a sync has taken place. In this instance, the note will be placed into a temporary "Conflicting changes" notebook. You can then view both the local version of the note and the conflicting version from the server and manually apply any changes that couldn't be merged automatically. Once you're satisfied that original version has all of the changes, delete the version in the "Conflicting changes" notebook (as well as the notebook itself, if it's empty).

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23275623

• Level 5*

@joemiller,

If you mean synced as per @charboyd above, then yes.  

If you mean backed up in the event you accidentally delete some notes or a notebook or if you use local notebooks, then no is the answer, your EN data base is not automatically backed up.  You have to make provisions for that yourself.  

There are numerous posts on the forum re backup and restore strategies that a search will find for you.  Here is a particularly colorful one - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82286-how-do-you-completely-backup-all-your-evernote-files/?hl=backup

so, in summary, is the following correct? ---

if half my evernotes are deleted then those lost notes are recoverable only

until the next 'sync' - because after the next sync the evernote cloud has only

the latest 'snapshot' of my database, and that database has been depleted

by half. 

however, I could recover the lost evernotes by using my Mozy file backup service

[Mozy backs up my files every two hours]

and following the directions in the evernote knowledge base article ''backing up

and restoring evernote data under windows''. 

p.s. I unsuccessfully tried to cut and paste text to this reply window. is there a way

to do so?    

so, in summary, is the following correct? ---

if half my evernotes are deleted then those lost notes are recoverable only

until the next 'sync' - because after the next sync the evernote cloud has only

the latest 'snapshot' of my database, and that database has been depleted

by half.

however, I could recover the lost evernotes by using my Mozy file backup service

[Mozy backs up my files every two hours]

and following the directions in the evernote knowledge base article ''backing up

and restoring evernote data under windows''.

p.s. I unsuccessfully tried to cut and paste text to this reply window. is there a way

to do so?

Restoring data is not a one size fits all. As mentioned in the thread csihilling linked to, it depends upon what you're restoring and what has transpired since the last backup.

In the example you have, deleted notes go into the trash. If you accidentally delete half your notes, you can recover them from the trash, regardless if you have synced or not. I rarely empty the trash. But when I do, I make a backup first. If I later need these notes (after emptying the trash and syncing), I can recover them from the trash of my backup.

Although charboyd has marked her answer as "best", I disagree b/c her post explains how Evernote syncs and how conflicting changes occurs. She does not address the issue of restore. Your OP was a bit vague, so her post MIGHT be the "best answer", depending upon what you intended (sync vs restoring data).

• Level 5*

I unsuccessfully tried to cut and paste text to this reply window. 

is there a way to do so?

Try copy and Ctrl-V to paste into the reply area.  Glad you are feeling more comfortable about it all.

• Level 5*

1.  Copy/Paste and Ctrl-V are Win actions.  If you are on Win then you could try drag/drop and after that I don't know what to tell you.

2.  For the Trash notebook only, not really.  You will find the trash notebook at the bottom of your notebook list.  You could move your trashed notes to a notebook that you created, but that requires manual intervention and the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze, to me anyway

Since you are concerned with backups, I would recommend you search the forum for the merits and benefits of different backup/restore strategies including EXB, ENEX, and some third party apps.  Then decide what is best for you.

• Level 5*

I can do copy/paste, copy/Ctrl-V and drag drop from your message above, example below.  Don't know what to tell you why yours isn't working, sorry.

are you able to copy/paste in a reply box ?

[e.g.] when I do a copy/paste of the above sentence in this reply box nothing happens ?

POST 1 of 2:

REGARDING EVERNOTE BACKUPS

I installed evernote a day or two ago.

will my everynote database be automatically backed up to the cloud ?

If I don't get an email alert to a response to this post, is there a way to

turn on such a feature?

Hi Joe,

First off, welcome to Evernote (EN) and the Forum!

I'm bit late to the party... I was in the middle of composing a response in the wee hours of the morning the night you originally posted the above, when I fell asleep while typing.

POST 2 of 2:

Section 3 - Details to Include when posting on the Forum:

▶ If you are posting with a question(s), or asking for help with a problem(s), or making a Feature Request(s), or registering a complaint(s), always include - EACH and EVERY time you start a new thread, or join one belonging to a User with similar issues to ask questions or say something like "Me too," what Client(s) you are using EN on, and specify which of those client(s) is affected.

* Clients refers to the device specific Evernote apps. i.e.:

Mac, Windows Desktop, Windows Touch, Windows Metro, Android, IOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Web (I *think* that covers them all, but don't quote me on it, please.

Archived