Feature Request: Location Tagging

Chad Lawson

Idea

I am very much in love with this new app! The other day after a meeting I scanned in the other person's brochure, business card, and handwritten notes. Scannable detected the business card in the middle and when it arrived in Evernote there were two notes: one for the card and one for the rest.

Until this app came out, I was using the business card and document camera features in Evernote with low to medium success. On my iPad the camera feature rarely worked or crashed. On the iPhone it requires the use of the flash which eats battery and is poor form to use in a meeting. And often the flash made it harder to read the content, not better.

Scannable, on the other hand, has better recognition and works just fine without the flash in all cases I've seen so far.

There is just one thing missing: location data.

I would love to use this in meetings and network events to capture notes and business cards but I like to have the cards tied to the event both in terms of creation date but also the Atlas for searching.

Please consider adding location information to this app. For Evernote notes it would just be in the normal note place. For other export/share options it could easily be added to the metadata for images or PDFs.

Thanks for your time and keep up with this fantastic app. It is truly miles ahead of anything else out there.

Sincerely,

Chad Lawson

10 replies to this idea

Thanks for the considered feedback and compliments Chad. We're glad Scannable is proving useful to you.

RE: location data, aside from a nice obvious usefulness in Evernote, what would you want to do with this data in PDFs and images outside of Evernote?

It's a good idea and outside Evernote I would like to be able to view on maps.

I'm on the road all day and as an example I fill up on fuel about three times a week.Id like to see where the petrol stations are that I've been using.

Haven't tried scanning a menu but maybe when eating out you could scan and send the location or store it for future dining.

I'm thinking this might be a good feature.

I'm sure there are other useful ideas out there like when purchasing products and you need direction back when scanning an invoice or receipt.

Klang, I was so interested in being terse and witty that I failed to say that I appreciated your fast response and openness to the idea. So, thanks!

Aussiebob, I hadn't thought of that, but you are right. There are plenty of great reasons to have Scannable geotag images and PDFs even if they don't go into Evernote.

I would like to be able to walk into a store and have Evernote show me all of the notes that were created at this location so I can find my return receipts and other notes easier. Letting Scannable geotag my locations would make this much easier. Scannable has allowed me to scan and toss a receipt right on the spot versus bringing them home, letting them build up, and then spending an hour or two to scan them. Thanks for a great product!

+1 for location tagging of items captured in Scannable. 

Currently, one I capture a document in Scannable, I am then flicking to the Evernote iOS app, going to the note just created by Scannable, and manually geotagging it for the location I am at. It would be great to have Scannable do this automatically. 

I would not require this outside Evernote, just for notes sent to EN.

Other than that, as the users above state, Scannable is a great app! Thanks!

Sorry for the necro-bump, but wanted to chime in on the request for location tagging via Scannable.

I use Scannable as my primary quick scanner for items to send to Evernote. I know that I can use the Evernote app itself for the same thing, but Scannable does the whole process quicker. It seems odd that the same functionality within Evernote can tag location, but doing the same thing in Scannable for the same purpose does not.

Hi everyone, 

Location tagging is now available in version 1.2 of Scannable. Just turn on Settings>Evernote>Add Location and grant permissions to use location.  Every scan you save to Evernote will also save the "location" populated in the note information based on the place you were when you hit the "Save" button.

Thanks, 

P.J.

Thank you for listening, and implementing this feature. It is already working well for me since the update.

Much appreciated!

Hi everyone, 

Location tagging is now available in version 1.2 of Scannable. Just turn on Settings>Evernote>Add Location and grant permissions to use location.  Every scan you save to Evernote will also save the "location" populated in the note information based on the place you were when you hit the "Save" button.

Thanks, 

P.J.

Archived