Search for "WA" in place of "wa"

Is there a way I can search for notes which contain "WA" (Washington) that doesn't return "wa" (was, water, way).

I have created tags for counties, e.g. "Coos.County.OR" but I'd like to see how many notes I have for Oregon.

Thanks.

what I do in a case like this is enter "wa " - note the spaces inside the quotes - this should return only instances of wa that have spaces around it - not inside a word.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

In this case I have a tag which terminates with "wa" with no spaces.

1.) To search for the tag wa, use:

tag:wa

2.) To search for the text wa use KLE recommendation mentioned above.

What I would do is either:

a.) create a tag for the county and a tag for the state or

b.) add the full state name as a keyword at the bottom of the notes.

• Level 5

So, in the case the tag is "Coos.County.OR" I can search for "tag:or" ?

No, you can only search for the preceding letters. Nothing in the middle or at the end.

But a wildcard * would give you some flexibility with the tag "Coos County, OR"

Yes

tag:"Coos County, OR"

or

tag:Coos*

No

tag:or

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would suggest individual tags for the county and the state. For example

tag:"coos county"

and

tag:or

To reduce confusion, I would go with

tag:oregon

There are several other options you could use depending on what you want to accomplish and the number of counties you expect to eventually end up with. 

The difficulty of creating a tag for Oregon is that I must independently verify that all notes tagged with "Coos County" have also been tagged with "Oregon"; it seems counterproductive for a "smart" software app.

• Level 5

The difficulty of creating a tag for Oregon is that I must independently verify that all notes tagged with "Coos County" have also been tagged with "Oregon"; it seems counterproductive for a "smart" software app.

There is a way Evernote can double check for missing tags. I use this technique occasionally to look for errors in tagging and keep my database cleaned up. Adding the negative sign in front of tag can be very powerful for a variety of searches.

Search

tag:"Coos County" -tag:Washington

As I mentioned, there are other methods, but I did not want to go down those roads if you were keen on tags.

Personally, I would add the county name to the end of the note. It would act as a keyword. And I would purposely misspell the word county for additional search capability. For example, if I add Coos Countyx as the key word, I could search for Coos and find all the notes pertaining to Coos County. If I wanted to find all notes that pertain to any county, I could search for Countyx.

• Level 5*

If you are talking in terms of tags as opposed to notes that contain OR, you could just rename your compound tags to OR.xxxxxx.County and then do a tag:OR* search which should return all of your notes with an Oregon county tag.

Archived