Add currently highlighted tag to newly created notes

Dear All:

Is it possible to add the currently highlighted tag to a newly created note? I'm asking because I completely got rid of notebooks and now only work with tags. However, if the currently highlighted tag is not added automatically, there is a good chance that I forget to tag a note manually (and said note disappears in my default notebook).

Thanks!

Steve

• Level 5*

You can drag the tag onto the note in Windows version in any case.  Assuming the tag highlighted in the left panel is the reference here.  If you are positioned in the note, F3 will take you to tag entry.  

Use the search -tag:* to find notes without tags should something slip by.

Thanks Cal. These tips are already very helpful. How are others dealing with this situation? I still feel like there should be a more elegant (automatic) solution... Perhaps I just want to recreate my notebook experience that I'm so used to, but I already missed several tags, and then had to search manually for the notes in my archive folder (which only take a few seconds, but it sums up over time).

@Jeff: The tags are highlighted in the left sidebar. I basically use tags as I used folders before, meaning I work in Project A (the tag Project A is highlighted), click "New Note", and now would like the newly created note to be assigned the tag "Project A". Also, yes I work with the Windows client.

@Cal: See above for the way I envisioned the system to work.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Okay, got it.  You can't create a note in a tag, only in a notebook.  You have to add the tags.  

Did you stop using notebooks for projects because you hit the maximum, or did something else drive the decision?  There's that old saying if it hurts don't do it....

Thanks Cal. It seems I found the correct option: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23176-feature-request-create-new-note-with-tag/

I use tags now primarily because (1) I don't want to run into the number of notebooks issue later, (2) tags can be structured hierarchically (not just stacked), and (3) notes can be assigned to multiple tags (sometimes I have meeting notes with several ppl involved, each person with her/his own tag).

• Level 5*

Thanks for sharing this tip to add selected Tags to a new Note.

I wish we had this feature in EN Mac.

For the benefit of all, here's the relevant post from your link:

DaveS,

If you set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SetNewNoteTags registry value to 1, the newly created notes will be assigned currently selected set of tags when saved. Please fully exit Evernote with File/Exit before changing its application registry.

BTW, you can select tags by Shift+clicking on tag buttons in Note Info panel: this makes it easy to filter notes with the same tags as the one you're viewing. With SetNewNoteTags option set to 1 you can also create new notes with the same set of tags.

/Peter

• 8 months later...

Archived