I do not intend to use evernote as a social app...ever

I have enjoyed using Evernote for many years but I am tired of every app deciding for me that I want it to be a social app.  I don't.  Please let me know how to turn off the social ***** and never have it come back again or ask me again if I want to chat, share, or in some way interact with facebook, linkedin or anything else.  If I need to share a notebook I will.  I have absolutely no need for yet another chat/interactive/social media app in any way shape or form.

What social stuff? Work Chat? That isn't a social thing (per se). That is for workplace collaboration. It is also the new mechanism for sharing notes and notebooks with other Evernote Users. 

If you don't need it, you can just ignore it. Personally I don't use it aside from when I need to share something (and most of my sharing is already set up), so I never really think about it. 

Connections to Twitter, Facebook, and LInkIn have been there for several years and can be ignored (as I do) if you don't need them (which I don't), why is this only a problem for you now? 

• Level 5*

If you're using a desktop version,  it's possible to right-click the 'chat' icon and get rid of it (don't believe that works on Macs yet)...  As a feature request I think all non-essential functions should be customizable options.

That still leaves the unavoidable task of having to go through Work Chat to share a notebook. Through the chat interface itself. That's part of what's getting to people. It may become a customizable option to hide the Work Chat icon on mobile devices in the future... but they have made it so that sharing notebooks is tethered to the Chat feature. 

That still leaves the unavoidable task of having to go through Work Chat to share a notebook. Through the chat interface itself. That's part of what's getting to people. It may become a customizable option to hide the Work Chat icon on mobile devices in the future... but they have made it so that sharing notebooks is tethered to the Chat feature. 

People seem to be making a big fuss about this but I'm not sure I understand why. All the previous types of sharing exist, the only difference is that if your recipient happens to be an evernote user (which they most likely are, if you are inviting them to participate in a notebook), then they don't need to leave the evernote application to join the notebook. 

That makes absolute sense Scott. The person joining a shared notebook would need to be an existing Evernote user - both before and after the advent of Work Chat. I think it's just a little confusing for some to try and figure it out. It's like when they change the layout of your local grocery store... you have to rewire years of habit. That... and the fact that the feel is different - whether branding or whatever. But one does get the distinct feeling (and despite using your willpower to filter out the extraneous) that Evernote is actively pushing the Work Chat thing for collaboration with popup windows, etc. It's a little in-your-face for some people.

That makes absolute sense Scott. The person joining a shared notebook would need to be an existing Evernote user - both before and after the advent of Work Chat. I think it's just a little confusing for some to try and figure it out. It's like when they change the layout of your local grocery store... you have to rewire years of habit. That... and the fact that the feel is different - whether branding or whatever. But one does get the distinct feeling (and despite using your willpower to filter out the extraneous) that Evernote is actively pushing the Work Chat thing for collaboration with popup windows, etc. It's a little in-your-face for some people.

Yes, I think this is spot on. In a lot of cases the (often unannounced) changes to where things are located can be troubling. Changes to workflow, even if they make no meaningful difference to the end result, can also be frustrating. 

It just takes time to adjust in most cases. 

• Level 5*

People are making a "fuss" because it feels like Evernote is aggressively forcing something on them that they don't want, while at the same time making it harder to do the things they want, like sending a note via email.

People seem to be making a big fuss about this but I'm not sure I understand why. 

Archived