Evernote desktop can't find Internet connection

pocketcollie

I have tried installing both 5.6.x and 5.7.2. Neither version can find the internet connection, so program refuses to load. I've repeatedly hit "try again"; have uninstalled 5.7.2, reinstalled 5.6.?, uninstalled 5.6, reinstalled 5.7.2, to no avail. Have tried the Poodle fix in the configuration in case that was part of the problem. 

Desktop program still cannot find my internet connection, which is hale and hearty.

What gives?

• Level 5*

Something on your system is broken.  Have you altered your system settings since Evernote made changes to improve security?
Details here https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/101867943  (there were also emails)

One important thing to do,  whether or not you use Internet Explorer to browse;  go to

• Internet Explorer > Settings > Internet Options > Advanced.
  • scroll down to Security
  • Check "Use TLS 1.0 / 1.1 / 1.2".  and UNcheck any SSL boxes.

Then retry syncing.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/71734-synchronization-failure-unable-to-connect-to-server/

Thanks. I'll go do some reading. I use either Firefox or Chrome, and I put the addition into the Chrome shortcut re: the SSL security issue. But launching the desktop program isn't done through the browser, is it? 

I'll go read up on the other stuff. The emails probably went to spam.

I am having the same problems. Installed Evernote on Windows 7 laptop, installation was fine but when I try to start the program it complains about internet connection. Looks like it cannot go through firewall (just my guess). Any ideas? 

• Level 5

Thanks. I'll go do some reading. I use either Firefox or Chrome, and I put the addition into the Chrome shortcut re: the SSL security issue. But launching the desktop program isn't done through the browser, is it? 

The SSL setting is used for all internet connections not just the one of the Internet Explorer. I understand that you are confused by 'Internet Explorer > Settings > Internet Options > Advanced' but it is also important for the desktop client!

You must change the settings in Internet Explorer. The desktop client uses that for network access. Changing Firefox or Chrome will have no impact on the Evernote desktop client.

I just got time to follow up on this - I changed the IE settings last week. I reinstalled Evernote desktop and it loaded right up. Thanks for the explanation about the settings in IE. I had no idea that all internet settings were controlled there, even those affecting other programs. Appreciate the help! I'm now a happy camper!  :D

Archived