Items in Notes have not been indexed

I am fairly new to Evernote and I need some help. Some of my notes have pdf files attached. When I view the "info" screen on some of my notes, I see:

"Attachment Status              1 PDF has not been indexed"

Sometimes these are pdf files I have pulled from the web and saved to Evernote and other times they are a document that I have scanned using my Evernote Edition ScanSnap Scanner. 

I am a PREMIUM User and these are notes which have been added days or even weeks earlier.  Now I am wondering how many notes that i have with attachments that did NOT get indexed?  All the while, I have been saving them in Evernote, thinking I will be able to search for them via content later. Only now finding out this is NOT the case.

I mostly use Evernote Client on my Mac and on my iPad or iPhone all running the latest OS or iOS. Occasionally I use a web based version.

Now I want to do a couple of things moving forward:

Check every note as I add it and see if it gets indexed or not.

If there is a way to FIX the notes that have been added and NOT indexed, to get them to be indexed, that would be terrific. 

Finally, is there any way at all, that we can search notes according to the STATUS of the Attachment, therefore, locating the notes which have NOT already been indexed?

Interestingly enough, I observed the same thing... but the chances are that everything has already been indexed and will be searchable anyways. I have also seen (if I remember correctly) that while a certain note had all attachments indexed on the old web client, they did not appear that way on the desktop client. I think what is important is that they can be searchable, including any OCR'ed material, so that everything can turn up in a search.

One thing you will notice with any attachments that have been indexed... as soon as you make any change to the actual note (anything therein), the whole thing gets re-uploaded... even inserting just a space. You will see the status of a previously indexed attachment change to not indexed. Either way, the content is still searchable. 

Have you tried searching a note with attachments that it says have not been indexed? It works for me. Even non-premium users get their images etc, indexed fairly quickly... just that premium users get it done priority. Despite an indexed or not indexed status under the note info... It really doesn't seem to make the slightest difference. Perhaps roll back to the current web release (not Beta) and you'll see what I'm talking about... if that makes any sense  ;)

• Level 5*

We MUST be able to TRUST the Evernote app.  IF it says "PDF has not been indexed" (implying it is NOT searchable yet), then that should be the case.  Otherwise, IMO, it is a BUG.

I suggest that you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I am fairly new to Evernote and I need some help. Some of my notes have pdf files attached. When I view the "info" screen on some of my notes, I see:

"Attachment Status              1 PDF has not been indexed"

Sometimes these are pdf files I have pulled from the web and saved to Evernote and other times they are a document that I have scanned using my Evernote Edition ScanSnap Scanner. 

I am a PREMIUM User and these are notes which have been added days or even weeks earlier.  Now I am wondering how many notes that i have with attachments that did NOT get indexed?  All the while, I have been saving them in Evernote, thinking I will be able to search for them via content later. Only now finding out this is NOT the case.

Interestingly enough, I observed the same thing... but the chances are that everything has already been indexed and will be searchable anyways. 

• 3 weeks later...

I see this same issue and have submitted a ticket, the initial guy I communicated with went through the normal stuff which was no help and the case has been escalated, I will keep you posted

Please do! There's a lot I'd like to know about these occurrences, which seem to be random. 

If there is a way to FIX the notes that have been added and NOT indexed, to get them to be indexed, that would be terrific. 

Finally, is there any way at all, that we can search notes according to the STATUS of the Attachment, therefore, locating the notes which have NOT already been indexed?

I have found, particularly with image attachments that when you click "Ctrl + Help" (toolbar help icon - which reveals some more options) and choose "Fix current note", the attachment is forced to re-index. This seems to only be a Windows desktop feature. Another thing I have noticed is that doing a clean install and re-sync from Evernote servers causes those previously un-indexed attachments to show up as indexed. Another thing I have seen is that often when I have moved a note with indexed attachments to another notebook - that action alone causes the attachments therein to show as not indexed. Beats me. 

The last point here - being able to search notes according to the status of the attachment (as mentioned by the OP) would not only be a useful search option, but rather a necessary one. 

Archived