switching accounts on Yosemite

Rick Shenkman

Idea

I have three premium accounts.  I switch between them all day long.  On my new powerful Macbook Pro switching is seamless.

But on my 2012 Macbook Air switching can take up to 5 minutes.  During the interim either the soccer ball spins or seemingly nothing happens.  Then all of a sudden Evernote pops up.

This happens even when I have no open programs except Evernote.  

Solution?

I should add that I love Evernote.  I wrote a book in Evernote.  It made research and writing much easier.

9 replies to this idea

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but you've piqued my curiosity.  Why do you use multiple accounts with Evernote?  I've seen the support but never really come up with a good use case.

One account is for work.  I run a website and use Evernote for all my files.

A second account is personal.

A third account is devoted to a book I researched and wrote this year. 

• Level 5

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but you've piqued my curiosity.  Why do you use multiple accounts with Evernote?  I've seen the support but never really come up with a good use case.

Also some users with lots of notes have had to open a new account to get around the scalability problems with Evernote.

Evernote claims it can handle 100,000 notes, but I have not seen anyone who has successfully got near that quantity with just one account.

Perhaps Evernote's switch to business customers will resolve this problem. 

yeah BurgersNFries is one of our Forum board Gurus, mega user, and just wicked smart. Her main accounts has 60,000 notes and its not working well at all, so she is like really pushing the envelope of what is possible with Evernote -- she has a number of other accounts

In the workplace, if you have your personal notes on your workplace computer -- your employer has every right to that information -- its their computer. A lot of people might have a work account and then a personal account they only log into from the web client. The web client is of course in serous trouble of geing gutted for the new Company vision of "workspace" but that's for another thread. 

I personally have two accounts and one is just dedicated to one specific project I have 3,000 notes on My main account I have 6,000 and you might have an account for your wife and kids each for communication by sharing notebooks. Lots of good reasons for multiple accounts

A premium account for each is well worth the price . . . if Evernote doesn't completely gut the app in their quest to "bend the Universe"

• Level 5*

I have three premium accounts.  I switch between them all day long.  On my new powerful Macbook Pro switching is seamless.

But on my 2012 Macbook Air switching can take up to 5 minutes.  During the interim either the soccer ball spins or seemingly nothing happens.  Then all of a sudden Evernote pops up.

Solution?

I should add that I love Evernote.  I wrote a book in Evernote.  It made research and writing much easier.

This sounds like a problem specific to your MBA.  

• I'm running a 2012 MBA-13 without any issues
  • Are you running low on disk space?
  • Is your network/internet connectivity any different on your MBA from your MBP?
  • Have you looked at the Mac Activity Monitor while switching accounts?
  • Have you tried running SpeedTest.net on your MBA to verify internet access/performance?
  • If all else fails, you can try a clean,full uninstall/reinstall of Evernote on your MBA
    • Be sure to backup/export any Local NBs first.
    • Also do a full, successful sync first, and verify using the EN Web client and/or Evernote on your MBP.

Solution?

This sounds like a problem specific to your MBA.  

• I'm running a 2012 MBA-13 without any issues
  • Are you running low on disk space?
  • Is your network/internet connectivity any different on your MBA from your MBP?
  • Have you looked at the Mac Activity Monitor while switching accounts?
  • Have you tried running SpeedTest.net on your MBA to verify internet access/performance?
  • If all else fails, you can try a clean,full uninstall/reinstall of Evernote on your MBA
    • Be sure to backup/export any Local NBs first.
    • Also do a full, successful sync first, and verify using the EN Web client and/or Evernote on your MBP.

Thanks for this response!

The MBA is always low on memory even with just a few apps open.  That's just the way it is, according to the Apple technician I spoke to today.  Since I realize now that I am having trouble on both the MBA and the MBP switching between Evernote accounts, I believe the problem is in either Evernote or Yosemite.  

I never had this problem with Mavericks. 

So maybe Evernote is not playing as nicely with Yosemite.

That's where things stand.

Just to add to JMichael's post, you should also try Repair Permissions from Disk Utility way before going through the hassle of a reinstall.  (My guess is that you don't need general tips like this, though.)

I already did disk repair.  That did not solve the problem. But I thank you for suggesting it.  

Archived