Why is Evernote so slooow?

klxdrt

Hi,

The last few versions of evernote have been very slooow in all regards.

See current version below.

I've been told this is normal??  Don't think this is true, but can someone

give me an answer.

I use W7 pro 32 bit/Virt XP, Asus MB w/AMD8 quad core, 4 gb ram. All my other programs are up an usable very fast, not Evernote.

cheers,

klx

post-228228-0-20573100-1414941449_thumb.

How many notes do you have?... More importantly, how big is your entire EN database? I have 20,000 notes and a run-of-the-mill Windows desktop. I don't have issues yet... sometimes just temporarily (freezes for about 5 seconds) on startup... but then that happens with almost all of my software. From what I've read here in the forums, the biggest issue arises when someone has a very large database. As with anything, the capability of your machine determines the speed too. Speed is relative. Just how slow are we talking about here?

Frank,

Actually, 317 notes may be easily misinterpreted as I do not use Evernote in what might be considered the traditional way.  I have 30+/- "folders" or NOTEBOOKS  and inside them are scores of "sub categories" or NOTES, and in each "sub category"/NOTE are many 'Mini Notes' as I call them.  

Each NOTEBOOK comprises a Project, Business, Informational Function or Concept that's useful in my business, and the same concept is used down the line: NOTEBOOKS\NOTES\Mini Notes\Nano Notes, etc, just like a folder tree or the old DOS directory tree.

Each mini note is originally setup as a 3x3, 9 cell table giving me further breakdown & flexibility all related to the ORIGINAL: Project, Business, Informational Function or Concept or NOTEBOOK.  

EN has been very fast, flexible, convenient, especially when you are collecting & Integrating information from several disparate sources while on the phone trying to extract a solution from a Massive, Wealthy, Global, Company's call center.

I'm always ready to setup, modify, delete stale information in heartbeat.  Most of the time I just delete the NOTE and when I have 50-100 notes deleted, I sort them all as NOTEBOOK and export them as an HTML file archive.   

My my work spans decades in over 25 or so Vertical Markets and have over 4Gb hd space with close to 1 million files going back 15 yrs. Have used EN since the beginning, I think.

If EN had options to colorize & sort the "titles" of NOTEBOOKS & NOTES, it would speed up my process greatly  Adding a little contrast to the interface would be a nice touch.  Of course I'm only dreaming.

cheers,

klx

PS: Frank, please accept this award for all your help.

post-228228-0-46055500-1414959690_thumb.

Hey klxdrt,

So if I understand correctly, only 136 MB of your 4 GB database is in Evernote...

What you call "Mini Notes" and "Nano Notes" are really 9-cell tables within an Evernote note? Just text?

Seems like an interesting setup. I'm curious.

Still, I doubt your database itself within Evernote is the cause of the app lagging. If you had Gigabytes of data in there, or super large PDFs you need to open, then I'd understand.

Frank,

Answers to your questions below in blue

However do you have any Idea where I can find an answer to my slowness problem?

I'm sure some of the"best & brightest" Evernoters have the answer. 

"In 1969 we put a man on the moon & returned him safely"  Today, should'nt we have an answer to this simple problem?

My error: I have 4TB NOT GB of HD space spread over several large USB drives inc my 5 partition PC HD. My 120 gb <C> partition which contains the EN 136 MG DB.

What you call "Mini Notes" and "Nano Notes" are really 9-cell tables within an Evernote note?
YES,  I start with a 3x3, 9 cell & expand/contract as needed.

Just text?
Each NOTE contains text and pix as needed.  If the pix are fluff I delete them, If relevant, I keep them.
My 317 NOTES range from 250 bytes.6.2 MB

NOTE:
Over the yrs I've been using EN, I've had more than 317 notes of similar size & distribution with no speed degradation until recent versions.  
I've also re-set my sync parameters to see if there was an effect on speed to no avail.

If you have further interest in my method of using EN, I will do some screen shots & post them for you.

cheers,

klx

Going out on a limb here, but could your issue have to do with your Note contents (and attachment) being more than just text? Such as your image files, which we know from other users here on the forum that despite EN's claim to handle well, it really doesn't for a lot of people.

My error: I have 4TB NOT GB of HD space spread over several large USB drives inc my 5 partition PC HD. My 120 gb <C> partition which contains the EN 136 MG DB.

Wait... What?!...

Is "136 MG" Megabytes or Gigabytes

Still seems kind of small if it were Megabytes (MB).

Yes... I am definitely curious... please post a screenshot or 2 of your note setup. Thanks!

I use W7 pro 32 bit/Virt XP, Asus MB w/AMD8 quad core, 4 gb ram. All my other programs are up an usable very fast, not Evernote.

hi klcdrt,   you are using windows 7, which I am as well. There has been a well documented problem with the newer versions of windows for people using windows 7 with many users locking up and lagging. Many of us have rolled back to Windows  5.2.0.2946, https://www.evernote...11aff00bd04d617 -- this has solved our lagging problem

Discussion on this is located here  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61178-evernote-keeps-freezing/

If you read further in that thread -- recompiling the database has cleared up the problems as well -- I have not tried that yet (be careful to export local notes first before recompile)

Hi,

Below are some screen shots I hope will answer any questions you guys may have
as it took considerable time to edit these images to fit within the forum's req.

The form would not let me storyboard the images, even tho I numbered them.
That being the case, you may have to piece them together as I'm answering several replies to this post.

Pix are in L>R, T>B order as numbered so tnat may help.

Boy what a lot of work on your part & mine.   
However; I'm sure I'll get a solution.

I really appreciate your interest, & help.

cheers,

klx

post-228228-0-71323200-1415113853_thumb.

post-228228-0-57944500-1415113860_thumb.

post-228228-0-77840000-1415113865_thumb.

post-228228-0-92362700-1415114174_thumb.

A most fascinating and unique workflow! I notice that you have a clipped article about Norway in a cell... does that mean you clip it to Evernote and then copy-paste it to a cell in the relevant note... and then delete the original?

I think some people get similar (and more granular) results using tags:

• Have everything related to Politics in one notebook - just as you have...
  • Individual articles go into individual notes, thereafter tagging them accordingly: "Norway, etc"
  • You can then set up a tag-tree on at least your desktop

That way, the information in individual cells could show up in more than one context. Plus you wouldn't have to search so much "intra-note".

It seems that you've created this setup to remember everything yourself and find it manually, as opposed to having to rely on Evernote's search capabilities. That might just work. Do you have to do a lot of copy-pasting and manual editing to delete/ rearrange? There must be a lot of admin to stay on top of things. Nevertheless, it does seem to be an interesting extension of the "folder-within-a-folder" setup, as you mentioned much earlier. Are individual cells as far as it goes?

It seems like you're positive that sooner or later, you'll be clipping more info. on Norway and the other 114 political "sub-notes" (which are Evernote notes). I know it's your terminology... so what's important is that it makes sense to you... but other people would understand your cells as being "sub-notes" of sorts... I think you call cells "Nano-notes"?

Frank,

does that mean you clip it to Evernote and then copy-paste it to a cell in the relevant note... and then delete the original?

NO, I don't use clip, Long story short:  As I find relevant info on the web. doc, etc,  I copy/paste only that info into an EN NoteBook then into specific Note.

If I have to find a "specific",  I use EN's search function. 

Hope this clears things up a litle as I'm a non-typist and I'm getting weary.

cheers,

klx

Archived