Fusion or aggregation of tasks?

Hi!

I use evernote at work. I take notes during meetings, presentations, or for my own thoughts. My note pages are built with text, ink, pictures, audio, and tasks lists. However, at the end of the day, I want to review all the tasks I noted during the day. It would be really helpful to find some sort of way to aggregate all the tasks located in multiple notes into one list. I have searched third party applications to do that but they only seem to manage reminders. Since I don't use reminders, it's not usefull.

Anybody has an idea?

My suggestion would be including the date, in a consistent manner, and the type of note, in your note titles. Then you could run a search at the end of each day that would pull-up all the notes for that day's work, at which point you can decide:

* If you want to merge any of them.

* If you want to add one or more specfic Tags that you associate with they days work.

i.e. Suppose your working on a company goal or project that takes several days or weeks to complete, such as (for example), a marketing plan for a new product your firm is about to launch called Zippy Snacks. You could batch add - by selecting them after running a Search for all that day's notes via the Title (or Creation) Date.

As in the Titles for each day's notes would start with, for example:

* YYYY/MM/DD

And you could add some key words to identify the type of note and what stage your project is at. i.e.

* YYYY/MM/DD Presentation Zippy Snacks

As well as clue to the stage of the project:

* YYYY/MM/DD - Presentation - Zippy Snacks - Day 1

* YYYY/MM/DD - Presentation - Zippy Snacks - Day 2

* YYYY/MM/DD - Presentation - Zippy Snacks - Day 3 (And so on.)

When it's completely finished, you search for and pull up the project notes via the Zippy Snacks tag. Then select them all and add a Completed tag (all at once), and move them into an Archive Notebook (that you would create for completed tasks & projects, etc.)

I don't think I've explained this very well, so I encourage you to search the forum using keywords such as:

* aggregate - or - agrgregating content

* project management

* tags

* organization

* keyword

* titles

Good luck! ☺

Also, another good tip is to create a clickable Table of Contents for each days notes. Below is a link to an Evernote (EN) Knowledge Base (KB) article explaining how to do it:

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/38335338/

I also snagged a couple other KB articles you might find helpful.

Organizing Notebooks:

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23311712/

Advanced Search Syntax (per my first response):

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23245321/

• Level 5*

Hi!

I use evernote at work. I take notes during meetings, presentations, or for my own thoughts. My note pages are built with text, ink, pictures, audio, and tasks lists. However, at the end of the day, I want to review all the tasks I noted during the day. It would be really helpful to find some sort of way to aggregate all the tasks located in multiple notes into one list. I have searched third party applications to do that but they only seem to manage reminders. Since I don't use reminders, it's not usefull.

Anybody has an idea?

If you want all the tasks in one list I don't know of a solution other than open a new note in a window and cut and paste into it.  Manual for sure.

• Level 5*

You might look at ways to isolate those notes (tagging them, perhaps), and then using Presentation Mode if your Evernote client supports it; see if that works for you. Otherwise, there's no way that I know of to do what you want, as others have suggested. Me, I usually aggregate the related task descriptions into one note, but use note links to point to supporting detail notes.

Thank you for the help and good tip!. I will look into it. I usually write notes on my Galaxy Tab and the app has less possibilities than the PC version of Evernote. It would have been great to have a simple way of extracting tasks from the notes, as well as pictures or any other multimedia files.

Martinst, Azendoo is a 3rd party app that is capable of recurring reminders, and intergates nicely with Evernote, as well as a number of other popular apps. It's also free up to a certain amount of users!

Below is a link to an article in Azendoo's Knowledgebase explaining how recurring reminders work:

http://help.azendoo.com/knowledgebase/articles/243770-repeating-recurring-tasks/

Also, Azendoo is a web only app, so will work on any device connected to the internet.

Thank you for the help and good tip!. I will look into it. I usually write notes on my Galaxy Tab and the app has less possibilities than the PC version of Evernote. It would have been great to have a simple way of extracting tasks from the notes, as well as pictures or any other multimedia files.

@Wordsgood - i don't think @Martinst is referring to reoccurring reminders - if I understand correctly, he is referring to aggregating todos sprinkled around a note after a hard day's work and having a simple checklist.

I can totally relate to you - i do a lot of journaling and whenever an inspired action comes up, I insert a todo and keep writing.   I've wanted an easy way to see all the "inspired actions" for a particular journal entry.

I went to EC4 and they named Swipes as startup of the year and lo-and-behold, you tag "swipes" on a note and what you get is an aggregated todo list!  two-way synced to boot!

I haven't fully integrated it into my workflow as I'm looking for further enhancements - but check it out - it's a good start!!

@chinarut,you undrstood exactly what I ment. My native language is French so I can't fully express my thaughts in english.

I saw what Swipes can do and it might just do right. But I will have to wait untill they offer the app on android to see if it suots my needs.

Archived