(Archived) URL notes

wolfjo

Idea

I was looking for a better way to store bookmarks while I am researching something without storing the entire web page or a pdf of it.

Dragging and dropping the icon from the web page URL into a note leads to a webloc file that has to be double-clicked to open, and does not work on the iPhone client.

Copying and pasting the URL into a note leads to a nice link that can be single click accessed, or accessed directly in the EN client on the iPhone, which is a nice touch.

I can't see any advantage to the webloc file. Can the default behavior of the drag and drop be changed on the desktop client so that it acts like a paste of the URL? It would make much more sense than the webloc, unless I am missing something.

If anyone else has ideas about how they store bookmarks while they are researching so that they can be accessed between the EN desktop and iPhone client I would love to hear it.

Thanks! --- JAW

8 replies to this idea

I have an AppleScript that I've never published which creates a note with the URLs of all open tabs in Safari.

If you're interested, I'll publish it -- and, if you think it would be helpful, look at adapting it for a "single tab" bookmark.

Hi Justin -- That would be great. The most helpful thing would be a script that captures all the open tabs in the foremost window. I always have 10 tabs open in another window for sites I keep an eye on during the day. It would be a pain if it captured all those as well. If thats an easy mod, I would love to see it.

Thanks for your help!

John

That works perfectly -- thanks so much for posting it!

For those who want to check it out, it creates a note from all the open tabs with the titles of the tabs and the URLs. Really nice if you want to capture the sites you were researching without leaving the tabs open.

Thanks again!

Just is a script gThat've wrote a bulk rename script, and it is working nice. Great when I clip notes from the same blogs over and over. Removes titles like 'cooking light : recipe of the week"..

Yes , I use ENto clip recipes for importing into MacGourmet while away from my computer.great use of EN.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I too would like this change. The ensuing responses address a different topic - that of moving links from Safari en masse.

I think of the basic issue as this: what do you get when dragging the address of Safari's current page to the Finder's filesystem: a .webloc file

what do you get when dragging it into a page of text, like a draft in mail: text of the page's title which is a link to the page

I guess the .weblock file exists as a substitute for the latter because in the filesystem there's no fit for it (file names shouldn't be hyperlinks to webpages - but you could have file that when open does load a specific web page)

my guess is that since evernote can take any sort of file it see these links as files, but not only does break the interaction of making a note - which is so often text - but it doesn't work in other clients like the page name as link would.

thanks for your time and I look forward to your improvements

Archived