Note only available with WiFi

mynon

I have one notebook that contains 12 notes.  Two of the notes are not available unless I have internet access.  Can anyone tell me why that would be?  I can copy the note and paste it into a new note and it shows up so I have a solution, but didn't want it to happen again.

I'm using Evernote pro.  I created the note on my windows 7 desktop.  My Nexus tablet shows all my notes but 2 or 3 without internet.  With, obviously they all show.  I'm just wondering why a few notes are only viewable if I'm on internet.

• Level 5*

Do you mean Evernote Premium (as opposed to "pro")? If you are a premium member, then you can create offline notebooks on a mobile device like your Nexus. Offline notebooks, once synced to the device are available when you're offline. The default case (non-offline notebook) doesn't guarantee that notes are synced to your device. 

At a guess, I'd say that your notes are not in offline notebooks, and hence, not available when you're offline.

On Windows and Mac, there is a locally stored database of all of your content (current as of the last time you synced with Evernote's servers), so you can view and modify all of your content while offline, and changes are pushed to the servers next time you have a connection. 

On mobile devices, the default behaviour is:

All note Headers are downloaded ONLY. That is, their basic metadata (date created, date updated, name, tags), as well as a thumbnail of any attachment, and the first few lines of text in the note. 

The note contents are only fetched from the server once you open the note. Thus, on mobile devices, the default behaviour is that you are accessing notes stored on evernote's servers but temporarily cached on your device. This means, if you do not have a network connection, you are unable to fetch the note contents from the servers, and thus they cannot be displayed. 

You say that you are using "Evernote Pro", which I presume means you have a premium subscription? If so, Evernote allows you to download the entire contents of certain notebooks (that is, the note header, contents, and attachments) to your device, meaning they can be viewed and modified without a network connection.  Here are directions for how to enable offline access for certain notebooks:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23260131

Thank you, I'll look at everything, but what's strange is that I can read all but two notes in the same notebook.  All my other notes is every other notebook are viewable as well.  It's just one notebook and then only two notes within that notebook.

Thank you, I'll look at everything, but what's strange is that I can read all but two notes in the same notebook.  All my other notes is every other notebook are viewable as well.  It's just one notebook and then only two notes within that notebook.

If the two notes were newly synced from the Windows desktop but you hadn't synced the tablet after, then this is not strange at all.

• Level 5*

If you look at a note on your mobile device while you're online, then it will be cached on the device for awhile (but not guaranteed to be there in the future). That may be the case here.

Archived