Note not coming up in search ? Rebuild index ?

delawaredave

EN on Windows 7 version 5.4.1.3962

There's a note I searched for on Windows EN program on my laptop - note did not come up.

Searched for same string on EN web and EN on my desktop program - this particular note came up on both these machines.

Why can I not see this note on laptop ? I made a copy of the note - and now I  see 2 copies on web and desktop, but see only the copy on laptop.

Is there a way to rebuild search index on laptop ?

The total number of notes is same on laptop, desktop, and web.

Thanks for any help ! 

• Level 5*

Hi - can you give an example of the word(s) or type of word(s) you're searching for?  There are some differences between search processes on different platforms.  The best way to rebuild an index is to reinstall the app and restore the database - but that seems a lot of work for one omission...  you could try opening a new note and copying this content over,  in case the note itself is compromised in some way. 

If that doesn't work - could you simply use a tag or a different keyword?

No words in the "missing note" are recognized by search - I've tried multi

Yes, I can/did copy the note and now successfully see this note on laptop, desktop, and web versions.

But what scares me is what other notes are "not searchable" on laptop copy - and I hope that this inconsistency does not corrupt my master database.

• Level 5*

I've had something similar happen a couple of times with such an inconsistency on the web and my laptop.  Fortunately my "extra" notes were on the web so

1. Based upon one of the tags of the missing note, I added a tag to any notes sharing that tag with with Temp.PC and synced
  2. When it was done syncing I went to the web and did a -tag:Temp.PC in the search
  3. My missing note was left
  4. I added the Temp.PC tag to it on the web
  5. Back to the laptop and there it was after syncing

Why it was on the web and not the laptop to begin with, clueless.  But that's how I found and fixed it. 

• Level 5*

No words in the "missing note" are recognized by search - I've tried multi

Yes, I can/did copy the note and now successfully see this note on laptop, desktop, and web versions.

But what scares me is what other notes are "not searchable" on laptop copy - and I hope that this inconsistency does not corrupt my master database.

It doesn't sound as though this is a major issue,  and no one else is reporting 'invisible' notes - as long as your web note count matches your other Evernote set-ups,  you know all the notes are there - just run a check from time to time to make sure you can find a note you just created.  If you get a repeat situation,  raise a support ticket (below);  if not,  don't worry about it.

Looks like the database on the laptop is not up to date.

I had this happen when I thought it would be a good idea to the keep the old database folder to skip redownloading everything after a reinstall. This seems to mess up the database. 

Solution in my case was a clean deinstall and reinstall. (If you have fresh notes on the laptop, export them first.)

Archived