Pin code for Windows

AndreiDI

So, I agree that you can log-out from your Windows Evernote each time you want to...

BUT it would be great to have a PIN protection for those times when you leave your Evernote app just closed and you do not exit/logout.

Sometimes you just close the windows app (no actual exit/logout) and when you start it again it is already running and it does not require regular login and second step.

I have to mention I use regular login and second step. I am also a premium user.

A PIN protection for the windows app (closed state) would be extremely easy to implement and based on my SDLC experience the costs are close to nothing.

Thank you.

Hi AndreiDI,

This is a much discussed topic around here. Please have a look through the below linked thread, which offers both an explanation of why Evernote does not have a built-in password protection feature and several workarounds. One post in this thread by Jefito, includes several links to even more discussions you could look through. ☺

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/62529-feature-request-secured-or-locked-notes/?fromsearch=1

So, I agree that you can log-out from your Windows Evernote each time you want to...

BUT it would be great to have a PIN protection for those times when you leave your Evernote app just closed and you do not exit/logout.

Sometimes you just close the windows app (no actual exit/logout) and when you start it again it is already running and it does not require regular login and second step.

I have to mention I use regular login and second step. I am also a premium user.

A PIN protection for the windows app (closed state) would be extremely easy to implement and based on my SDLC experience the costs are close to nothing.

Thank you.

Hmm, maybe I missed the posts but all I could find is notebook level protection. What am I asking is a simple PIN protection much like on mobile device. If the user is idle for X minutes then EN locks-up with a simple PIN...

The second post, by Grumpy Monkey touches on why Evernote does *not* provide password (PIN) protection for the program as a whole. The third post down, by ScottLougheed, links to discussions all over the forum about security in general.

What you're seeking is part of what are called password protection programs. Their are free and paid versions widely available and I recommend a Google search.

One such I've seen repeatedly recommended here is called LastPass. Here's the link for that one:

https://lastpass.com/features_free.php

Cheers. ☺

Thank you.

Third, when leaving your computer, as Metrodon said, lock your account.  I know in Windows it's very easy & easy to unlock.  IMO, this is a basic security feature, when there are others in your home.  Again, not just for Evernote but other apps too.  I don't want a guest in my home to have access to my email, Evernote, Quicken, Excel files, etc.  (My husband knows better than to mess with my computer!  (To be fair, I am the same with his computers/phone.  We view each others computers/phones like wallets/billfolds/purses - you just don't go rummaging through them unless you have a good reason to do so.)  To be clear, this is simple security & not much good against a thief if your computer is lost or stolen.  That case is described in the many threads on 'security'.

For a Windows pin code for individual apps, I have mentioned Game Protector several times on the board.  It's free & although it doesn't mention this, a Google search indicates it works with Win 7 & 8, 

http://gameprotector.com/

Archived