Evernote Mac 5.5.2 Update -- Released for All?

JMichaelTX

Idea

• Level 5*

Evernote Mac 5.5.2 Update -- Released for All?

I'm a bit confused about this update.

It shows up as an available update on one of Macs, but not the other.

Both Macs are running EN Mac 5.5.1 on OS X 10.9.4 (Mavericks).

A Google search shows it being released on a number of web sites.

Yet, I've seen no announcement by Evernote.

Is EN Mac 5.5.2 available to all?   If so, why doesn't it show up on one of my Macs?

Here's the screen shot from Mac #1:

EN-Mac-5-5-2-update.gif

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Do you have the direct download version on both machines?

Yep.  Everything is identical AFAIK.

I have NEVER installed Evernote from the Mac App Store.

That does sound odd, then. Have you checked the preferences to see that it is set to look for updates at the same time? 

I have the same problem! I'm trying to install the update on a friend's computer. (macbook pro).  His computer is nearly identical to mine, same OS.  In fact, his machine is newer.   I can't seem to find the newest version for him. He's stuck on 5.5.1.  It's not in the app store, and there's no check for updates version on his Evernote menu. Where should I be looking?

I'm having the same problem as well! No mention of 5.5.2 anywhere formal - except in blogs espousing how great the update is - I'm specifically interested in the updates to the table creation tool. I use Evernote on two different Mac Book Pro's running 10.9.4 and I have yet to see a software update notification window. How to get 5.5.2? Uninstall, reinstall? What am I missing?

• Level 5*

But you should note that EN Mac 5.6 has had a number of issues identified with it, and there is already a new Beta version 5.6.1 available:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/68991-evernote-for-mac-561-beta/

Personally, unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade, I'd wait at least until ver 5.6.1 GA is released.

Thats good information - thank you JMichael.

I've been using EN for about a year, and have never had to/been prompted/wanted to upgrade so forgive my naivete - do I need to manually upgrade? Meaning, do I need to manually uninstall and reinstall the latest version? I downloaded from the EN site originally, not the app store. I guess I've come to assume automatic updating...where do I check for EN updates or turn on automatic updating? 

• Level 5*

Thats good information - thank you JMichael.

I've been using EN for about a year, and have never had to/been prompted/wanted to upgrade so forgive my naivete - do I need to manually upgrade? Meaning, do I need to manually uninstall and reinstall the latest version? I downloaded from the EN site originally, not the app store. I guess I've come to assume automatic updating...where do I check for EN updates or turn on automatic updating? 

IMO,  "Automatic" updating is NOT advisable.

In the EN Mac app, goto Evernote > Preferences > Software Update

Check the "Automatically check for updates"

• This will notify you, but NOT install, when new updates are available.

I would UNCHECK the "Update to beta versions when available", unless you are willing to take HIGH RISKS.

Beta versions have been know to cause loss of data, and make the app unusable.

I would also make a FULL BACKUP of my Mac Evernote folder BEFORE any update.

• Level 5*

IMO, automatic updating is highly recommended.

Unfortunately, that does NOT give you the opportunity make sure all of your Notes are properly sync'd and show up on the EN Web and other clients, and most importantly, make a FULL BACKUP before the update.

Archived