New text-selection BUG

For years, I've done a lot of writing in Evernote, and I use rich text extensively -- especially underlining. Unfortunately, a new bug was introduced recently, affecting the way text is selected.

Normally, when you double-click a word, that word is highlighted and ready for commands. For example, if you double-clicked the second word below, then selected "Underline," you'd get the following:

I love bananas.

But a recent update broke the selection mechanism, causing the empty space following the selected word to be highlighted, as well. As a result, upon double-clicking a word, then underlining, you get this:

I love bananas.

For obvious reasons, this only affects underlining. But it's extremely annoying and now requires "jumping through hoops" to remove the underline from the space between the words. (You can't just backspace and type a new space, because the new space inherits the formatting of the previous word. So, there's a whole procedure, now, that must take place in order to correct this.)

I'd love to see this fixed, please.

• Level 5*

Hi - thanks for the heads up,  but the official support link is below;  you may want to raise this specific issue there - we're not actually Evernote,  mainly just interested users.

• Level 5*

Just as a sidelight: I don't know what the Mac standard is, but it's pretty common in Windows (this forum, for example, at least in Chrome) to have a double-click selection include the trailing space, if any. Perhaps the thought is that if you delete the resulting selection, there won't be two spaces left behind. Also makes it easier to cut/paste a selection like that, in many cases. But it's not universal, and for sure, sometimes it's awkward.

Just as a sidelight: I don't know what the Mac standard is, but it's pretty common in Windows (this forum, for example, at least in Chrome) to have a double-click selection include the trailing space, if any. Perhaps the thought is that if you delete the resulting selection, there won't be two spaces left behind. Also makes it easier to cut/paste a selection like that, in many cases. But it's not universal, and for sure, sometimes it's awkward.

Mac software (at least that which is authored by Apple) is intelligently written, such that one is never left with double spaces. If you highlight a word and delete it, the software is smart enough to know that the double space would be undesirable. So, it's automatically removed.

But when the goal is to select and underline a word, there's no universe in which it makes sense to also underline the trailing space (as demonstrated above).

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, arne1985 said:

I experience the described behavior in Evernote for Windows v 6.2.4 - Can you fix it again?

Hi.  I've used 6.2.4 and had no such problems - have you tried restarting your system and/ or uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote?  (Be sure to backup your data if reinstalling)

Archived