Clip, File, Note - How?

Dial

Currently when I clip  a page/selection in Chrome on my 11'' Macbook Air I am not able to select a folder I wish to park it in, nor am I able to tag or make notes on the clipped item. Instead I must clip it to Evernote, then go to Evernote and place the note and tags from within Evernote, itself. This seems a very roundabout and slow work-flow. 

Is there a way of clipping, selecting the folder I wish to file in and adding notes, tags and the like all from within the clip tool. It seems a no-brainer that this is possible, yet I can't  find a way to do it. 

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

Do you not have the options under "file" in the web clipper? (pardon my use of Safari, but the clipper should look the same in Chrome).

See the blue arrow here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s25/sh/cf92d420-41fb-496e-a5a4-51ca1a630d26/9c527c1d2a73126aa9524f7469fe22dd

You can see I have selected my "dissertation" notebook, and have not selected any tags. When the page is clipped, it will be there, in "dissertation"

Thanks for the reply Scott.

Yes, indeed my clipper menu is the same as yours, however, 'File' doesn't work.  

1. It is partially obscured by 'Save' and 'Share' and 2. Even if I click on 'File' it has no effect - it does not take me to a list of my folders in Evernote. 

I suppose I could try Safari, however I expect Evernote to work in Chrome. I also wonder whether there continues to be an issue with Evernote clipper displaying on the smaller size screen of the 11'' Air. Disappointing, if true. It's not like the 11'' screen is rare.

Cmd-shift-4, place the cross hairs over your browser window, press space bar, and click. You'll see the newly created image on your desktop. You can add that to Evernote and share the note and paste the link to the note here, or you can use the upload function built into the forum here when you click "more reply options"

• Level 5*

Currently when I clip  a page/selection in Chrome on my 11'' Macbook Air I am not able to select a folder I wish to park it in, nor am I able to tag or make notes on the clipped item. Instead I must clip it to Evernote, then go to Evernote and place the note and tags from within Evernote, itself. This seems a very roundabout and slow work-flow. 

Is there a way of clipping, selecting the folder I wish to file in and adding notes, tags and the like all from within the clip tool. It seems a no-brainer that this is possible, yet I can't  find a way to do it. 

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

Dial, IF you have the LATEST ver of EN Chrome Clipper installed on your Mac, when you click on the Elephant icon in the Chrome toolbar, you should see the following:

EN-Chrome-Clipper-Options.gif

By then clicking on any of the links below the "File" line, it should open up the EN Chrome Clipper Capture Dialog as show above.

Within this dialog window, you can set/change everything, including the Notebook (which you call "folder"), Tags, and Comments.

If you do NOT see this Capture Dialog, make sure you are updated to the latest ver of EN Chrome Clipper.

Ok, you can see in this attached image exactly what occurs.

JMichael, as far as I can I do have the latest edition of EN Clipper. When I go to the Chrome store it tells me I have it installed. 

I will reinstall and see if that helps.

post-174812-0-91908100-1402647160_thumb.

Ok, so I removed EN Chrome Web Clipper from Chrome. Quit from Chrome. Restarted my computer and then re-installed EN Chrome Web Clipper from the store. 

The first two clips I did were fine, the third was back to the same old problem.  I would attach the evidence but I have exceeded my 'allotted disk space'. In any case it is exactly the same issue as the image posted above. The 'Share' and 'Save' buttons have migrated to place themselves over the 'File' button.

I have put in a Support Ticket but, please, any further suggestions are welcome in the meantime.  

Ok, I have just checked out the image I attached of the issue. This image does not in fact accurately show the placement of the Save and Share buttons: In the clipped image it appears as if they are placed below the 'File' button and 2/3 menu items showing. In actual fact these buttons are placed squarely over the File button and items which cannot be accessed or employed in any way. 

@Dial

This appears to be a problem with screen resolution. What resolution do you run in?

We're aware that the current UI is not very functional on to small resolutions.

We're working on an updated design to mitigate this and have a smaller footprint on screen real estate. Unfortunately there's not a quick fix for you but you have to work on getting the UI to fit on your device until the new version is ready. 

Ah, it's all coming back to me.  I recall this very issue being raised months ago and the same response given about new design being worked on to resolve the problem of Evernote clipping scaling to smaller screens.  At which point I was happy to spend time  in Springpad....

I don't suppose you could tell me how far away  this 'updated design' is?

• Level 5*

1. It is partially obscured by 'Save' and 'Share' and 2. Even if I click on 'File' it has no effect - it does not take me to a list of my folders in Evernote. 

I suppose I could try Safari, however I expect Evernote to work in Chrome. I also wonder whether there continues to be an issue with Evernote clipper displaying on the smaller size screen of the 11'' Air. Disappointing, if true. It's not like the 11'' screen is rare.

JMichael, as far as I can I do have the latest edition of EN Clipper. When I go to the Chrome store it tells me I have it installed. 

Dial, you are NOT supposed to click on "File".

Click on the links directly below "File", like the one labeled "open-space's".

• Level 5*

I can say we are testing the new version internally and it will soon be available as a beta here on the forum. 

jbignert, this directly relates to my suggestion in another thread that you need to provide a more obvious method to open the File Dialong.  Making "File" an obvious BUTTON which says "Open File Dialog" would be an obvious approach.   ;)

Dial, you are NOT supposed to click on "File".

Click on the links directly below "File", like the one labeled "open-space's".

You may have just solved my problem - for now, at least. I should say, however, that I've clicked on 'Open Space' a number of times and it takes me to a menu with various options including signing out, and web-clipper options. These are not what I want. However, prompted by your suggestion I tried the one of the file category names that appears under 'File'. Doing this gave me access to the menu choice options that I'd been seeking. Excellent!

In defence of how slow on the uptake I've been here I would note that the resolution issues (ie the overlay of one set of buttons over another) coupled with 'open space' taking me to a different menu than I desire, coupled with the non-intuitive access to the file menu via one of the file menu category names is not optimum. I know that Evernote are onto the resolution issue. I think they should consider making access to the File menu no more than clicking on 'File' itself. You have suggested something similar, I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to save a screen-shot today. Definitely no chance of clicking on anything underneath the overlaying Save/Share buttons. Off it goes to Evernote where later I will need to find it, and file it as I wish. Curious to try out the coming beta to handle this issue with smaller-screens.

Archived