Problem Importing Notes from Outlook To Evernote

I have approximately 645 notes in my Outlook 2007 program and am using Windows 7 and wanted to import these into Evernote.

I created a new notebook inside Evernote and called it Outlook Notes.

Then I opened Outlook and highlighted all of the notes and clicked on the Evernote Icon that appeared at the top of the screen and directed that the notes be imported into the Outlook Notebook inside of my Evernote Account.

I keep getting the following message:

"An error occurred while processing clipped data (import failed: MISSING_NOTE_TITLE)"

I would welcome any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem.

Sincerely,

Oceanstate401

• Level 5*

I'm on 2013 so YMMV but I can also forward and move notes - as work arounds (and if that's available to you) you could try forwarding notes to your Evernote email address or moving them into another mail folder (which starts a mail dialogue).  My Evernote button works as expected so why you're getting a 'missing title' I don't know.  

Have you checked the Notes List view in Outlook?  Make sure all the notes have a title,  even if you just copy and paste 'untitled note' a lot.

Evernote clearly doesn't like blank title fields,  but you have no other way to edit the information that I can see.  Certainly worth a support ticket (see below) because there needs to be a way to fix the information so Evernote can digest it...

Hi,

I wonder if one of the emails does not have a title and hence it is rejecting all of them? 

Perhaps try with one email and see if that is causing the same problem.

Also you mention you created a new Notebook. Have you synced to make sure it is on the web before trying to send emails to it?

Best regards

Chris

Thanks to all of the members who were kind enough to reply and offer suggestions.

I was finally successful in importing the Outlook Notes to Evernote!!

It turned out to be a two step process.

The e-mail password for Outlook needed to be up-dated  and I was able to move the files over in segments of 200 each time and as it turned out I was able to isolate the three notes that had no titles.

I was able to move those notes over as well once I determined which ones were without a title.

I am very happy to have everything under my Evernote Account at last!!!

Sincerely :)

Oceanstate401

• 7 months later...

Hi, I have the same problem moving Notes. I was wondering what you meant by updating your password. My password is correct or I wouldn't be able to get mail. Also, I thought that notes must have titles if they have any content, because Outlook simply uses first several words as titles. Can anyone clarify this?

• Level 5*

Hi, I have the same problem moving Notes. I was wondering what you meant by updating your password. My password is correct or I wouldn't be able to get mail. Also, I thought that notes must have titles if they have any content, because Outlook simply uses first several words as titles. Can anyone clarify this?

Hi.

The password issue was a local one for that user and is not relevant.  How many notes are you trying to move and what happens when you try?  Have you selected a few at a time to test whether small numbers work?

I have tried selecting several, I got the same error message "An error occurred while processing clipped data (import failed: MISSING_NOTE_TITLE)". Then I tried just one at the time and that worked, which would be fine except I have over 600 notes. I don't think the title is missing, because when I selected just ten notes I made sure they all had obvious titles.

• Level 5*

Hmmn. I'd suggest logging out of everything and restarting your system,  and if that doesn't jump-start something,  you may have to look at ways to automate the import process (like AutoHotKey) rather than doing it in bulk.  Which version of Outlook do you have?

Outlook 2010. Restarting doesn't help. I looked up AutoHotkey - not something I would like to spend time doing. It seems that odd error is something Evernote should deal with, not users, since it does not seem to have a simpe solution.

• Level 5*

Sadly with computers and software,  it's the users who wind up dealing with errors like this.  Your best chance is that someone else has done this and found the trick.  In your version of Outlook is it possible to export or save your notes in another format?  If you can convert them to text or CSV files you would be able to use an Import Folder (Evernote > Tools) to import the files...

Archived