Netbook screen needs vertical space back (like version 4)

Help, please.

In List View on the desktop Windows version, where the screen shows both the Note Panel and the Note List, there is a wide horizontal band above the Note Panel that contains information that that is already visible in the columns in the Note List above. Specifically there are horizontal rows wasted showing the date created, last updated, notebook, etc. that I can see above in the Note List columns. This duplication wastes some valuable horizontal space that I need for visibility on my wide and thin netbook screen.

It used to be (in version 4) that I could eliminate useless screen items, like the formatting bar. But in all Version 5s, these user options have disappeared.

Is there any way to clean up the screen of unwanted material so that I can squeeze the essential onto my netbook screen? I don't need any formatting bar at all (can do with shortcut keys).

Thanks for any tips (or alternatives).

Welcome to the Forum!

If you look just above the Note window, you will see where the grey areas change tones of color.  You can place your cursor over the line separating the grey toned areas and resize that area.  This will allow the Note window to expand upward, allowing more view of the Note.

See this image:  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s48/sh/e9399194-32f9-4993-892a-3325cefcb8c1/1c68303635c20e9b92df2f676773ddc6

Is this what you are referring to?

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the info!

However, the light blue (on my system) bar containing "notebook, Click to add tag...,Reminder, Share, info, Delete," then plus an empty row, then the creation date and url, then plus a last empty row (whew) - this blue bar does not let me resize it. 

At the top of this bar, the sizing cursor lets me increase the Note List above and thus lowers everything else below - including the blue bar which stays the same size and moves down the screen. When I click on the bottom of the blue bar to try to reduce it, it changes the creation date and url row to be the standard format row (font, size, bold, etc. etc.). as if I wanted to edit the Note Panel contents. So I can't narrow it or eliminate the blue bar by working from the bottom of the bar. I think there should be a format or view command that let's one eliminate the bar, but I cannot find it.

Am I missing something here? That would be great, if so!

PS: The reference image shows just the bar at the top of the Evernote screen and apparently doesn't apply when it is stuck in the middle between the Note List and the Note Panel.

• Level 5

Sorry!  Can you give us a screen shot of what you are talking about?

I believe this is what b.a.-ba is referring to.

Evernote used to have 3 helpful options to turn off various parts of this area. This allowed more space to view the most important information - our content.

Edit: I use the Vertical List View (Ctrl + Shft + F5).
The 3 options mentioned above were killed in this version also.
Here is how it looked when I toggled those lines off. (Cleaner and more viewable)

Also, this is not just a netbook issue. It applies to full size monitors as well.
  • Level 5*

FYI the registry entries that used to control these options are still present in the Evernote registry key, but I tried changing them there and it didn't have any effect.  But perhaps the fact they're still present indicates they might be returning to use at some point.  (Or, it may mean they just didn't bother to remove them...)

Edit: I use the Vertical List View (Ctrl + Shft + F5).
The 3 options mentioned above were killed in this version also.
Here is how it looked when I toggled those lines off. (Cleaner and more viewable)

Also, this is not just a netbook issue. It applies to full size monitors as well.

Very usefull shortcut... I notice it is not documented on the shorcut list : http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23168552

Many thanks to all who responded and helped. At least now I know that it wasn't my oversight! That's the good news.

The bad is that, even though Ctrl + Shft + F5 produces more info per screen, it doesn't give me the info search functionality that I need.

Well, it was useful while it lasted.

• Level 5

Many thanks to all who responded and helped. At least now I know that it wasn't my oversight! That's the good news.

The bad is that, even though Ctrl + Shft + F5 produces more info per screen, it doesn't give me the info search functionality that I need.

Well, it was useful while it lasted.

I did not notice any details on "the info search functionality" in your first post.  

Did I miss it? or could you explain a bit more?

Archived