text import

Walmington

I've an enormous old text database I'd like to import into Evernote

This database is one large text file with a ~ delimiter separating each entry

Is there any way to import it??  It'd take me years to copy & paste each entry one at a time!

Really hope someone out there has a solution - thanks in advance

Is there any way to import it??  It'd take me years to copy & paste each entry one at a time!

You can add a txt file by dragging & dropping. If you want each entry in the txt file to be a separate note in Evernote, you will need to write a script to read the source file, parse & write each entry to a separate txt file. You can then copy the resultant files to an import folder. EN will then import each txt file into an individual note. If you need more info on import folders, please use the search function as they have been discussed a lot.

Also, I believe if you want the contents to turn into nite contents and not an attachment, you need to encode it in UTF-8 (default is typically UTF-16) so make sure you so that BEFORE chopping it into a hundred files so you only have to do it once!

• Level 5*

Just posted this somewhere else too..  can you use your text file as a database in a mail merge to generate separate 'letter' files that could then be imported into Evernote?

• Level 5*

How do you currently use/search your "database" (BTW, a plain text file really isn't a database)?

To be useful in Evernote, I would want to have the Created Date and at least Note Title specific to each Note.  So, is that information in your text file?  If it is then you might want to explore ways to export your text file into separate files, with one file per Evernote Note, with the file name being the Note Title you want.  Then you will need to import into Evernote and retain/set the Evernote Create Date.  The Evernote Import function sets the Created Date to the current date/time, so you will need to find another approach.

But before I go any further, you need to confirm that you have the created date for each entry in your text "database".

Archived