How to query a stack in shared notebook

I created a notebook, shared it, then renamed it. In my system, it's now called "SharedTT". Previously it was known as "SharedNotebook1".

The following query produces zero results:

stack:"SharedTT" todo:false

and/or

stack:SharedTT todo:false

from my account and the sharee account (using "SharedNotebook1"), but

stack:"Plants_Gardens" todo:false

does produce results from my account.

Is this a bug?

• Level 5*

Not clear what you're trying to do here. You say you have a shared notebook ("I created a notebook, shared it, then renamed it. In my system, it's now called "SharedTT""), but you are using a stack search ("stack:SharedTT todo:false"). To search on notebooks, use notebook:<notebook name>

In my personal account, I have a stack named '@Work' that I use to collect notebooks that I share from my work account. Searching on "stack:@Work" (or more elaborate searches) works fine.

• Level 5*

Thanks, Jeff. Did you perchance rename the stack after you shared it?

(It started as a notebook and became a stack...IIRC)

No. You cannot share stacks in Evernote (that feature is requested occasionally), and you cannot turn a stack into a notebook, or vice-versa. You need to create stacks on your local machine. I shared several notebooks from my work account, and collected them into a stack.

So this means that while these notebooks look like they're in a stack, actually they're not?

The notebooks are indented under something, but that something is not a stack? So what is that file/folder called?

Oh. On my machine, it's a stack, but there's not a stack on the shared machine—that's what you mean then. Is there any reason why I could not search for all notes in the shared notebooks that make up the stack using the query word "stack" if the query is on my machine?

Is there some nomenclature which would help me query with multiple shared notebooks, e.g. "notebook:AP_TT notebook:NotesTT todo:false"

• Level 5*

You can only have at most one notebook: or stack: term in a search, so "notebook:AP_TT notebook:NotesTT todo:false" would not be allowed (it might just use the first ntoebook that it encounters, not sure about that). If you want to search multiple notebooks at one go, the only way to do that is by putting them together in a stack.

Here is the hierarchy:

Notebooks hold notes, and only notes, not stacks or other notebooks.

Stacks hold notebooks, and only notebooks, not notes or other stacks.

Notes hold only content (text and attachments), not notebooks, stacks or other notes.

There is nothing called a "folder" in Evernote, though notebooks and stacks have folder-like qualities.

So:

Stack 1 

Notebook

Note 1

Note 2

Note 3

Notebook 2

Notebook 3

Stack 2

In order to use stack search on a particular machine, there needs to be a stack on that machine. Notebooks that are in a stack in another account do not retain their stack-iness in an account that they are shared to; you need to put them in a stack on that machine.

Jeff, this brings me full circle! :o

On my system, there's a stack which contains 3 shared notebooks.

and/or

Is this a bug?

A notebook is an entity

A note is an entity

These are things that exist and can have attributes. 

A tag is an attribute

A stack is an attribute (technically).

These can by applied to entities (tags to notes, stacks to notebooks). 

A stack, while is appears to be an entity, when you look at how Evernote's database works under the hood, it is actually an attribute of a notebook. This is really a bit of programming trickery I think Evernote had to employ in order to allow stacks without having to completely re-write how it stores data.

In general, this distinction shouldn't matter to a user because the effect is the same, stacks are a searchable combination of notebooks. They essentially act and look like an entity. The difficulty is because a stack is technically an attribute, it makes acting on stacks hard aside from being included in searches (as with the other attribute, tags).

In the Evernote world, you cannot share an attribute. You can't select a tag and share that tag. It doesn't work. Conceptually it doesn't necessarily make sense either, you can share an apple, but you can't share red. 

If a stack is understood as an attribute (as conceptually backward as that may seem, this is the technical reality), then not being able to share it make sense. 

The benefit of this is that if a notebook has been shared with you, you can put it into whatever stack you'd like! You aren't limited to the stack used by the person who shared it with you. The downsides to this are well covered throughout this forum.

If you want to limit your search to a specific stack you just use 

stack:stackname

I have all of my work related notebooks in a stack called "work". If I want to look for the tag "governance" in my work stack, I would search

stack:work tag:governance

This would also search any shared notebooks I happen to have in that stack. 

Does this attribute/entity distinction make anything clearer for you? 

Does this search syntax help you out?

and/or

Is this a bug?

As Jeff pointed out in post #2, you say you have a *notebook* named sharedtt but you are using a *stack* search. To search a *notebook*, the search grammar is

Notebook:sharedtt

Update: I had saved the search, editing the properties as I understood them more.

Typing

directly into the search window produces results just fine.

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

• Level 5*

Let me put it to you this way: if and until you are able to explain what you did in non-contradictory terms (you would not expect to be able to search a notebook using stack<notebook name>) and without claiming that you did things that Evernote just plain cannot do (You didn't share a stack; you didn't convert a notebook into a stack), it's really hard to tell what's going on in your situation, and therefore difficult to help you. You need to lay out exactly what you did, exactly what you searched for on which machine, and what you expected.

Here is what I did:

* I have a notebook named "Development" shared from my personal account to my work account.

* I can search it just fine on my work account, and if I put it into a stack on my work account, that works fine, too.

* I then renamed the notebook in my personal account to "SoftwareDevelopment". In my work account, the notebook retains its original name, "Development".

* In my work account, I can search the notebook "Development" just fine, as before, either in or not in a stack. The notebook name "SoftwareDevelopment" is nowhere known in my work account,and no searches will find anything

As best I can tell, there is no bug, which is what you are wondering. But until I get a clearer picture of what you're actually doing, I can't say for sure.

Archived