evernote desktop will not load fully

On Mac OSX Mavericks.

Evernote Desktop, free, will no longer finish loading. When I click the dock icon or the app in the Applications folder, OR if i use the Chrome webclipper, the desktop app will open, display recent clips, Notebooks, etc in the left column, but the entire right, main content column is entirely blank, and the spinner just spins merrily away.

When I use the Chrome webclipper, the only additional feature is that a synching dialog appears, with its progress bar fixed at 100%, but it never goes away.

I am not sure if this problem began after enabling 2-step authentication for GOOGLE - not for Evernote - (and Evernote was authorized to access my google contacts) or not. So I turned off google 2-step authentication, and that made no difference.

I have reinstalled Evernote (but not completely deleted it first).... no difference.

I've rebooted the Mac... no difference.

Is anyone able to help me get this working again?

Thanks.

e michael

• Level 5*

On Mac OSX Mavericks.

Evernote Desktop, free, will no longer finish loading. When I click the dock icon or the app in the Applications folder, OR if i use the Chrome webclipper, the desktop app will open, display recent clips, Notebooks, etc in the left column, but the entire right, main content column is entirely blank, and the spinner just spins merrily away.

When I use the Chrome webclipper, the only additional feature is that a synching dialog appears, with its progress bar fixed at 100%, but it never goes away.

I am not sure if this problem began after enabling 2-step authentication for GOOGLE - not for Evernote - (and Evernote was authorized to access my google contacts) or not. So I turned off google 2-step authentication, and that made no difference.

I have reinstalled Evernote (but not completely deleted it first).... no difference.

I've rebooted the Mac... no difference.

Is anyone able to help me get this working again?

Thanks.

e michael

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I would contact support. I have never seen this behavior, and it sounds like there may be something going on that activity logs and the like might help diagnose. 

By the way, are you using the direct download or appstore version? If it were me, I'd delete everything and reinstall with the direct download. Here are directions (I know you said you did this, but maybe something is left behind and it is worth another try -- see the directions for more).

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

If this didn't work, I'd make a dummy account, uninstall / reinstall, and only sign into it. This way, you could at least rule out the possibility that something is wrong with your account.

Thanks so much.  I used AppCleaner to expurgate my copy after archiving my Library/Application Support/Evernote folder for safety, installed from Evernote directly (as before), and the app opened nicely and then synched with the cloud data and, amazingly, all is now well.

Complete removal of Evernote was obviously the key. Of course that begs the question, what happened on my computer to cause this trouble in the first place, but some things in life a simply  mystery.

Now I will try turning 2-step authentication on at google again...

So thanks again!

e michael

• Level 5*

Thanks so much. I used AppCleaner to expurgate my copy after archiving my Library/Application Support/Evernote folder for safety, installed from Evernote directly (as before), and the app opened nicely and then synched with the cloud data and, amazingly, all is now well.

Complete removal of Evernote was obviously the key. Of course that begs the question, what happened on my computer to cause this trouble in the first place, but some things in life a simply mystery.

Now I will try turning 2-step authentication on at google again...

So thanks again!

e michael

Glad to hear it is working again! Hopefully, whatever gremlin you had is gone for good :)

• 2 years later...

I have had this problem for about five months - and it is getting so annoying I am seriously considering closing my evernote account.

Yes the reinstall works - but only for a little while the problem returns often after only one or two uses. I have lost count of the number of re-installs I have done.

I can always consume my notes from my tablet or phone, but I tend to only create notes when working on my desktop. Evernote is one of the apps I like to have open all the time.

I hadn't thought about the possibility that 2FA may be causing it. I will try disabling it, but even if that makes the problem go away not having 2FA on a service that can be accessed on the web is unacceptable. I have so much work in my EN it would be intolerable to have it messed with.

Usually I don't report issues because the Evernote team have been pretty good at spotting and dealing with them, but this one seems to have completely passed them by.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, rjp said:

...Yes the reinstall works - but only for a little while the problem returns often after only one or two uses. I have lost count of the number of re-installs I have done.

I can always consume my notes from my tablet or phone, but I tend to only create notes when working on my desktop. Evernote is one of the apps I like to have open all the time.

I hadn't thought about the possibility that 2FA may be causing it. I will try disabling it, but even if that makes the problem go away not having 2FA on a service that can be accessed on the web is unacceptable. I have so much work in my EN it would be intolerable to have it messed with.

No problems here.

If you want to open a support ticket, there's a link below in my signature selection.      Contact Evernote Support

For self troubleshooting, I'd recommend deleting the app and the database, then reinstalling and letting EN rebuild the database from their servers.

Archived