Evernote vs Paper Tiger

Back in early 2008, when I was looking at organizers for digital info, there were a few contenders besides Evernote & OneNote.  There was AskSam (*very* pricey & at that time, very archaic looking...but I nearly went with it.  I was desperate & needed something to organize my digital data for various projects.)  And Paper Tiger. I remember I didn't really like AskSam but did really like Paper Tiger.  For some reason, I thought of PT in the middle of the night, last night.  (I'm an insomniac.)  So I Googled them.  They are still around & are now cloud based (as one would guess if they are keeping up with the technology).  So I watched the video & since I'm a software junkie, I'm still intrigued by their software.  It's very similar to an Access database I created & used to organize things in our home, many years ago, prior to using Evernote.  But really, unless you're talking massive amounts of digital items, paper & other physical things (per their website, their customers include Coca Cola, IBM, Siemens, Merrill Lynch, etc.), you can replicate this system in Evernote.  They do have a free version, so I may play with that to satisfy my curiosity.  But I do find it interesting that there are regular comparisons of Evernote to OneNote, once in a blue moon to AskSam but none (that I've seen or recall) to Paper Tiger. 

• Level 5*

Back in early 2008, when I was looking at organizers for digital info, there were a few contenders besides Evernote & OneNote.  There was AskSam (*very* pricey & at that time, very archaic looking...but I nearly went with it.  I was desperate & needed something to organize my digital data for various projects.)  And Paper Tiger. I remember I didn't really like AskSam but did really like Paper Tiger.  For some reason, I thought of PT in the middle of the night, last night.  (I'm an insomniac.)  So I Googled them.  They are still around & are now cloud based (as one would guess if they are keeping up with the technology).  So I watched the video & since I'm a software junkie, I'm still intrigued by their software.  It's very similar to an Access database I created & used to organize things in our home, many years ago, prior to using Evernote.  But really, unless you're talking massive amounts of digital items, paper & other physical things (per their website, their customers include Coca Cola, IBM, Siemens, Merrill Lynch, etc.), you can replicate this system in Evernote.  They do have a free version, so I may play with that to satisfy my curiosity.  But I do find it interesting that there are regular comparisons of Evernote to OneNote, once in a blue moon to AskSam but none (that I've seen or recall) to Paper Tiger. 

It is very interesting. It's not for me, because I am 99.9% paperless, but it is interesting. If you are paperless, I'd say that DevonThink is a pretty intriguing product. The nice thing about it is that you can just "index" your Evernote stuff (or anything else) without moving it around. You don't have to use one thing or another. I use DevonThink a lot for searching, connecting data together, analyzing the data I have (it has a brilliant collocation feature), and so forth. 

• Level 5*

Well I've been around software for <cough><cough><cough> years and I've never heard of PT before.  Thanks for the intro - it's an interesting concept,  but for me there are two drawbacks.  

1) My stuff would get filed in "Draw A,  File 1" so I must have access to PT to find that birth certificate I need for my security clearance.  That assumes my devices and my internet connection don't choose the usual most critical moment to go away.  

2) it's linked to the Big G.  While I do cherish some dark suspicions about their intentions / security etc I'm not irrationally prejudiced,  but being tied in to one supplier for my storage space (even though "I can buy as much as required") doesn't seem clever.  

And 3) (I know,  but what can you do?) the comment "PDF files take a lot of storage space" isn't necessarily accurate,  and these are the guys who want to hold my files for me!

They're obviously big-corporate-friendly,  but I need something agile and portable and PT doesn't seem to be it...

Thanks again for the intro though - I'm intrigued (and a little worried) that there are applications out there that have a life all their own!

Archived