Advice solicited for using Shared Notebooks

I am sharing notebooks with other users, whom I wish to give full permissions for practical purposes. However, I want to maintain a copy of all of the documents in their original states, in case another user makes undesirable changes or deletes the file.

Currently, I make each note in the shared notebook as a copy of an original I keep in a separate notebook. But this can be a cumbersome approach.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Level 5*

If you're using a desktop computer (e.g. Windows), you could export your notebook to Evernote format, and then re-import it under a different name. That just makes a snapshot of the current state, though, and obviously won't track any changes that you make later on.

Other than that, no suggestions

• Level 5*

On Mac, Time Machine will keep versions, so you can search by Spotlight on your local drive, locate the messed up note, and go find it (same location) in Time Machine. There's not much effort involved. Just plug in an external drive.

• Level 5*

If you;re sharing multiple notebooks with others,  you must already be on the premium plan.  Evernote offers premium users the option to 'step' notes back to a previous version if required - click "i" and choose "view history".  This is a "several times per day" backup,  so won't be pin-point accurate and could miss changes that are made more frequently.  Have you considered publishing your information in a blog via Evernote and Postach.io and using the comments to capture suggested changes?

Great suggestions, all. Thank you.

I do have Postach.io set up and had not thought of a use for it. I may try that for some of my more casual collaborators.

I have also been looking into using liveminutes.com as a low-cost collaboration tool for those whom I wish to have more control.

Both of these solutions would allow me to not have to worry about monitoring the shared notebooks for every minute change.

Archived