(Archived) Windows - Export EN Notes to Spreadsheet ?

Hello EN Members:

Q-1:  Is there a practical way to EXPORT EN notes to a SPREADSHEET?

• On R-clicking a note - only 4 OPTIONS appear in the drop-down menu (i.e. enex, single html, .mht, multiple html).

Q-2:  Is there any work-around or smarter way to accomplish this task?

Thank you much in advance for a prompt and detailed solution (if available).

Alan

Hello jefito:

Thank you for getting back. :)

A significant issue is that these notes have multiple 2MB photos in each note. There appears to be NO CONTROL of fields desired for export and what should be excluded.

Q-1:  Any ideas or recommendations?

Alan

• Level 5*

Not sure what you're trying to do with those images, or expecting to happen, but Evernote format is very close to HTML, so you should, on import into Excel, see something pretty close to what your Evernote note looks like.

Hello jefito:

The photos are 2MB each - HUGE!!! Not practical to export them unless they can be greatly sized-down.

That is simply mickey-mouse. Is there no other way to export?

Alan

• Level 5*

Yes. If that's the best EN has to offer in export capability, then it's woefully lacking as a database/pim/contact manager application on a rudimentary level.

Well, since it's never billed itself as a dedicated "database/pim/contact manager" solution, it ought to be unsurprising that they don't have all of the bells and whistles that you'd expect an application that was designed to be more focused in one of those areas. Evernote's export functionality is intended largely for backup and possible transfer into other systems (https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2013/08/08/evernote-export-format-enex/#content); the assumption is that you'd want as much fidelity to the original note content as possible. Calling Evernote "mickey-mouse" for not having functionality that they never intended to put in in seems a bit unfair.

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments.

I've been a SW Apps & Eval Consultant for years. There are numerous simple PIMs and Contact Managers have that have reasonable capable export capabilities. This is a rudimentary feature - certainly not classified as "bells and whistles."

Due to EXPORT limitations alone, I must now rethink my EN strategy from scratch... and possibly start looking elsewhere for a solution.

Thank you again,

Alan

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments.

I've been a SW Apps & Eval Consultant for years. There are numerous simple PIMs and Contact Managers have that have reasonable capable export capabilities. This is a rudimentary feature - certainly not classified as "bells and whistles."

Due to EXPORT limitations alone, I must now rethink my EN strategy from scratch... and possibly start looking elsewhere for a solution.

Thank you again,

Alan

Added emphasis mine...

Well, since it's never billed itself as a dedicated "database/pim/contact manager" solution, it ought to be unsurprising that they don't have all of the bells and whistles that you'd expect an application that was designed to be more focused in one of those areas. Evernote's export functionality is intended largely for backup and possible transfer into other systems (https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2013/08/08/evernote-export-format-enex/#content); the assumption is that you'd want as much fidelity to the original note content as possible. Calling Evernote "mickey-mouse" for not having functionality that they never intended to put in in seems a bit unfair.

Archived