(Archived) Feature Request: Make common filetypes viewable

Hey there,

I used the forum search but could not find a similar topic: Are there plans to make more filetypes like .doc or Apple iWork files view- and searchable (e.g. like .pdf)?

I would definately upgrade to premium for that..

I am sorry if there is another topic on that (I cannot believe it is not), but I could not find it.

Kind regards,

lacer

"Common" filetypes is kind of a misnomer here. Try opening a .doc in notepad and you'll see it ain't exactly common.

(But, you say, you can't open a PDF in notepad either!) A Text PDF has the text stored in vector format that is text based and can be "read".

Basically, we will need to add a processor for every non-text-based (or image) filetype that we want to add in as viewable. If we added in .doc, people would start clamoring for .rtf (NOT the same.) And then there's .xls, .ppt, etc., etc.

I know Air Sharing and I've been using SugarSync for a while :(

I don't like using a lot apps for one thing. I love DEVONthink, but Evernote too :) Besides I believe in cloud computing, so I would love to use just Evernote..

Is there any chance to see this feature one day?

Mh. Since I do not even get a "no", I'm switching to DEVONthink Pro Office. I'll rather pay 150 USD for a good product than 45 USD per year for an unfinished one. It is sad since I really liked Evernote.

"Common" filetypes is kind of a misnomer here. Try opening a .doc in notepad and you'll see it ain't exactly common.

(But, you say, you can't open a PDF in notepad either!) A Text PDF has the text stored in vector format that is text based and can be "read".

Basically, we will need to add a processor for every non-text-based (or image) filetype that we want to add in as viewable. If we added in .doc, people would start clamoring for .rtf (NOT the same.) And then there's .xls, .ppt, etc., etc.

This wouldn't affected the viewing issue, but one way for Evernote to make a huge variety of file types searchable without having to maintain each processor would be to incorporate the Google Search Appliance APIs.

From the page:

These appliances expose a variey of APIs allowing independent software vendors, systems integrators and IT adminstrators the ability to securely extend the reach of enterprise search into any document or content management systems, custom applications, or legacy systems. Application vendors can leverage the APIs to seemlessly embed Google-powered search into their business applications.

Changing everything around to incorporate the Google APIs would obviously take some time, but once done, Evernote would be able to perform full-text searches on a huge number of files. Combining the power of Google Desktop with the current image OCR and multi-platform syncing/capturing capabilities would make Evernote an unbeatable product.

• 4 months later...

I understand that each processor that Evernote adds cost the company some money, but it will be really useful to have more processor. At least you could plan for adding processor for the most demanded file types. I guess that support the Office suite (doc, ppt, xls) will prove really useful to a broad number of users. (You can even release this feature as Premium only).

Archived