Clearing/Sorting To Do items?

Eric Gleason

Is there a way to sort To Do items?  I have a note with all of my To Do items.  Some are checked as completed, some are not, and they're all mixed together.  I'm looking for a way to sort by status so I can more easily tell what needs to be done.

Any way to do something like this?  I've been searching the forum and the web and haven't found anything helpful.

• Level 5

Is there a way to sort To Do items?  I have a note with all of my To Do items.  Some are checked as completed, some are not, and they're all mixed together.  I'm looking for a way to sort by status so I can more easily tell what needs to be done.

Any way to do something like this?  I've been searching the forum and the web and haven't found anything helpful.

In my experience with Evernote, you will be in a much better situation if you use single notes for each To Do item.

As you are finding out, putting them all into one huge master note creates all sorts of difficulties.

If you put To-Do item into separate notes, you will be able to sort and filter them.

You will be able to just see unfinished items, or finished items.

todo:false (unfinished - unchecked checkbox)

todo:true (finished - checked checkbox)

todo:* (all checkboxes)

• 11 months later...

In my experience with Evernote, you will be in a much better situation if you use single notes for each To Do item.

As you are finding out, putting them all into one huge master note creates all sorts of difficulties.

If you put To-Do item into separate notes, you will be able to sort and filter them.

For a reusable ToDo list then, can you right-click the note to toggle it's completion status?  I have a list of 200 todo's the I perform some/all of periodically. It would be great to be able to mark the ones that I need to complete as incomplete by selected the tasks and right-clicking them. And then right-clicking each one as complete as I finish it.  

The next time I need to perform several of the tasks, I could then repeat this process. 

• Level 5*

Any note can have a reminder. The reminder can be dated or not. Reminders are independent of any todo checkboxes that appear in the note contents.

Assuming the Windows client, reminders for notes in your current note filter will appear above the current note list for Snippet view and Card view (not List view). You can clear a reminder from a note (remove it) or just mark it done via a number of UI operations. Reminders are sortable in the Windows client by Note title, reminder date, or manual ordering.

• Level 5*

For a reusable ToDo list then, can you right-click the note to toggle it's completion status?  I have a list of 200 todo's the I perform some/all of periodically. It would be great to be able to mark the ones that I need to complete as incomplete by selected the tasks and right-clicking them. And then right-clicking each one as complete as I finish it.  

The next time I need to perform several of the tasks, I could then repeat this process. 

Gooch,

Not sure I'm getting it, but you can create a template note with your open tasks in it and then copy it into a new note whenever you have to perform all or some of the tasks.

Cal

Thank for the ideas. It seems too kludge for my tastes. Like many users, I want Evernote to do and be my organizer for everything even though that isn't it's purpose. You can only shoehorn such into it before it breaks, so I'll maintain a separate task and grocery list application for now.

Archived