(Archived) Sync

DutchPete

I have the EN free version installed on my Windows Vista desktop. I mostly work from this desktop version and let the syncing process make the changes on the web and smartphone versions. I recently added a Word file to a notebook once but then deleted it a couple of days later because I did not find it useful. It kept coming back each time I updated the file. So I deleted it in both the desktop and web versions, but the file keeps being put back in after each time I change the file.

My question is: how does the Evernote syncing process work? Should I, when I delete something, delete on all 3 versions? That does not seem very efficient to me, nor workable.

I have the EN free version installed on my Windows Vista desktop. I mostly work from this desktop version and let the syncing process make the changes on the web and smartphone versions. I recently added a Word file to a notebook once but then deleted it a couple of days later because I did not find it useful. It kept coming back each time I updated the file. So I deleted it in both the desktop and web versions, but the file keeps being put back in after each time I change the file.

My question is: how does the Evernote syncing process work? Should I, when I delete something, delete on all 3 versions? That does not seem very efficient to me, nor workable.

It sounds like you've got the Word document stored in a folder that you defined in Evernote as an import folder.  Either remove the import/watched folder option or move the Word document to another folder on your hard drive. 

Evernote uses a master-slave type sync approach.  The web version is the master, with all of the 'slaves', whether they be on a portable device, desktop(s), etc. providing their changes to, and receiving them from, the web.  This generally works well, but you need to keep in mind that if you ever edit the same note in two different slave locations in between a sync, a note conflict will result.  Consequently, make sure you always sync before switching between devices.

This may not necessarily be the source of your problem, but I thought it might be useful for you anyway and I do say this from personal experience, since I often have EN running on a desktop, laptop and two Android devices in the same room at the same time!

Thanks for the reply David, I'll keep it in mind. I have had note conflict notifications, so there might be something there.

In any case, I will not change the location of the file as suggested by BurgersNFries as that does not solve the root problem.

Hi Pete,

What BnF is suggesting is that you may have an 'import' folder set up in Evernote. If so, remove the import and it will stop the document coming back into Evernote.

If you don't know what an 'import' folder is, or if you have not created one for the folder that contains the document you are trying to get rid of then that isn't the answer.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Guys, sorry to not have answered before, was sidetracked by another issue. Anyway, yes I did put a path to the file name, rather than attaching it the note. So how can I get rid of the path? Deleting the note does not do the trick because the note keeps coming back (not in the same notebook by the way).

Hi Guys, sorry to not have answered before, was sidetracked by another issue. Anyway, yes I did put a path to the file name, rather than attaching it the note. So how can I get rid of the path? Deleting the note does not do the trick because the note keeps coming back (not in the same notebook by the way).

This is a users board. It may be that no one has anything more to add to help you out. If you have not been able to resolve your problem, you can always submit a support ticket. (See my sig.)

Archived