(Archived) Scanning

bobzani

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

Let's see - I think that may depend on which version of Windows you're using and what scanner you have.  If you have a look around the forums here for "import folder" that may be an easier alternative - scan to folder and allow Evernote to import the scanned document.  Your search-engine-of-choice may be a useful source of additional information about the scanner - I use an Epson scan/print/fax machine and an Epson V700 photo scanner and a ScanSnap S1500.

gazumped - Thank you, and let me apologize for my inexcusable, smart aleck comment. I have a Lexmark all-in-one, which has an app on it to automatically email a scan to Evernote with the push of a button. However, I had to do a reset a while back, and when I tried to set that function up again I found that my Gmail 2-step authentication is not as easy to set up with the printer this time. Evernote does have an "Import" command under the file menu, but there is not a setting to allow importing from a scanner. I found the method you are talking about; where you set up a folder to automatically upload items to Evernote (under the Tools menu). I also tried simply dragging and dropping a scan onto the Evernote window, and that works as well. It would be nice if Evernote had an import from scanner option though, since that seems fairly straightforward.

• Level 5*

No problem - I've been known to smarten an aleck myself on occasion.  Don't know how 2-factor auth would affect the service,  but Lexmark have some generic instructions at http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&id=SO5181&locale=en&userlocale=EN_US and I think a query to their support / forums might be useful.  Evernote,  as such,  don't "do" scanning - they tend to leave it to people like Lexmark.

• Level 5*

I believe that if the OP searches on Google he/she will be able to find instructions for using Evernote with most scanners. If the question is asked again with the specific scanner in mind, maybe someone will be specific with an answer.

• 4 months later...
May I be so bold to add my call here. Why is it on forums people that have more knowledge make it so hard for those that ask questions. Would it not be more user friendly to give a little more information and help the questionnaire, than to talk in riddles and be frustrating. I see this time and time again the people with knowledge being holier than thou and the people asking and searching for answers being left with inconclusive answers or directions to follow. I arrived here on this forum as I have the same situation want to scan from my Canon MP960 and a business card to Evernote. Thinking there must be a way, first attacked the evernote knowledge base, waste of time that was, now I am here from a Google search to be still no wiser. I am not here to offend just to point out some people in this world are not as savvy as others. :)​ Any help appreciated folks.

• Level 5*

May I be so bold to add my call here. Why is it on forums people that have more knowledge make it so hard for those that ask questions. Would it not be more user friendly to give a little more information and help the questionnaire, than to talk in riddles and be frustrating. I see this time and time again the people with knowledge being holier than thou and the people asking and searching for answers being left with inconclusive answers or directions to follow. I arrived here on this forum as I have the same situation want to scan from my Canon MP960 and a business card to Evernote. Thinking there must be a way, first attacked the evernote knowledge base, waste of time that was, now I am here from a Google search to be still no wiser. I am not here to offend just to point out some people in this world are not as savvy as others. :)​ Any help appreciated folks.

Point taken,  and I certainly have been known to be a tad abrupt with queries at times;  but there are a few considerations to bear in mind.

1. This is a volunteer user forum,  and I,  like all of the Evangelists,  don't get paid for spending time here and answering queries.  I do have a day job that needs attention occasionally.
  2. There are somewhere around 20-30 queries a day that I can answer (Windows and Android spoken here) so I tend to rattle through them as quickly as I reasonably can.
  3. I do expect (can't speak for the others here) that anyone asking a question will have gone through all the basics including
  •   being unfailingly polite unless they're given more than ample reason to be obstreperous (ie don't start with "you bunch of incompetents" - devs have feelings too)
  •   trying all the obvious options available (that's pretty much how I got to my 'advanced' state of knowledge)
  •   checking the Evernote help pages
  •   searching the web  (which is where is get lots of my answers)
  •   contacting other help fora (if appropriate)
  •   checking this forum fo previous queries  (which is where I get the rest of my answers)
  •   submitting a support ticket (see below) for tech issues
  •   asking a coherent question including OS,  Evernote client,  details of the process the user wants to complete,  and full details of the problem/ error they experience

- then I can efficiently apply my brain to solving a sensible query.

Ask a civil,  sensible question (starting with "I've looked everywhere...") and you'll get a similar,  sensible answer.

If it looks like someone thinks they're too important to waste time with details and would like us peasants just to get our act together and try to perform competently for once,  we tend to circle the wagons and get emotional.

Anyhoo: having read this thread did you still have a query?

(I do notice you already passed the 'looked everywhere' test...)    :)

To expound on what Gaz said, quite often a new user's question has been asked & answered before. Sometimes several times. Sometimes in great detail. Often and certainly true on this board, the answers are posted by those who *volunteer* their time to help others. Their time is just as valuable as everyone else's & they may prefer to not spend *more* time re-posting the same answers they have previously spent time posting before. Therefore, it's considered polite (on all message boards) to search on the question one has rather than just pop in & ask something. Not everyone may realize this which is why one may get a reply to search the board. If someone does search & still has questions, posting in an existing thread or quoting specific posts that are unclear to the new user will normally generate a more specific reply.

Guys: After all this bickering: 1. I'm sorry I asked; 2. I still don't know how to do it. If it helps, I use: Win7; Chrome; HP Officejet Pro 8600. I'd still like to learn how to do it. Thanks

Did you do what Gaz suggested in post #4? Or Factman in #7?

Archived