Using Evernote Offline on iPad

I have been using Evernote for a while now, but now I am going on a trip to Iceland on Monday and I want to be able to use my Iceland Notebook I created with directions, hotels etc, so I signed up for Premium like they suggested I do, but the notes still do not show up. I synced over and over again to make sure they were going through.

When I try to open a note this is what I get: 

"You are not connected to the Internet

Evernote cannot load the note ________ because your iPad isn't connected to the internet."

I thought by becoming Premium - they were supposed to work. I took the iPad off wi-fi and put it on airplane mode a few times, but still no luck. Do my premium features take a while to kick in?

I looked in the settings, but I have no idea if I am missing something to get me going here.

Any help is very appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Did you specify that notebook for offline access (in settings) before syncing?

To settle the spat here & transform this thread into a useful page on the interweb I thought I'd mention what I've found:

I too have had trouble accessing certain notes on my iPhone & iPad when offline. On iOS Apps you can change which notebooks you want to actually download to the device (not just store in the cache) by tapping your username or shield icon in the top left corner. The resulting page gives Premium users a set of options to either download all notebooks or just selected ones.

One thing I've spotted is that my settings can sometimes reset to the default (don't download ANY notebooks) when updating the app, which is somewhat annoying... 

Hope that helps anyone else who sees this thread  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the clear instructions Jazzerbobby!

I'm assuming you simply "sync" again after you change the settings to download notebooks. After you sync again, is there any way to verify that the notebooks are actually on your device (before leaving cell service)?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the clear instructions Jazzerbobby!

I'm assuming you simply "sync" again after you change the settings to download notebooks. After you sync again, is there any way to verify that the notebooks are actually on your device (before leaving cell service)?

Put your iPad in airplane mode through settings and you can check to see if your notes really are available offline.

Mine aren't (!) in my selected offline notebook on my iPad (2 if it matters)

Download Selected Notebooks is checked and there is a blue check mark beside the notebook I want available offline. Beneath the name of the notebook it says 3.8 KB of 1.8 MB. it has synced since selecting the notebook but no luck. The message "finding notes to download" has flashed on the screen but, they don't download.

Still trying to figure it out.

tia, Dave

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I guess I am missing something. I have an Evernote Plus subscription, but I cannot find that option to download notebooks for offline use (working on an iPad). I cannot see my username or "shield icon" in the top left corner, either, even though I am logged in.

• 1 month later...

I, too, would like to thank Jazzerbobby for the clear instructions.

I have Evernote Premium (and have been for several years) and use my account at work with Windows desktop, on my iPad Air, and my Android phone.  I had no idea where to look within the iPad app (this is my first Apple device, so I am a total newby).   I even went online and reviewed the "Getting Started" for iOS, but there was no mention there regarding working offline.  I would respectfully suggest that the moderator not make the assumption that a user would know to go into the settings while in the iPad app to designate which notebooks to download for use offline. 

Power users may have been able to figure it out, but an old dog like myself needs to be lead step by step.  I am happy to report that I was able to download the notebooks I need, so you can teach an old dog a new trick!

Many thanks, :) Grandma Cindy

Archived