Hello fellow Evernoters
I had a very important note filled with audio recordings (interviews) just straight disappear.

It was around the time I started syncing my account it to a computer.

I've looked in the trash, and it's not there.

Searched for it thinking it was moved to another notebool - nothing.

Any thoughts? This is kind of a big deal :P.

With thanks

• Level 5*

You should specify which Evernote client that you are using (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, etc.). And what you mean by "It was around the time I started syncing my account it to a computer".

• Level 5*

Still need more information. Let's try to figure out if syncing ever happened (syncing always go through the Evernote servers). Is this a note that you created on your iPad, but later saw on your Mac? Or did you never see it on your Mac?

Conversely, was the note created on your Mac and you later saw it on your iPad? Or did you never see it on yoru iPad?

Check the Evernote Web client to see if the note was synced to the Evernote servers, to see if the note was ever synced at all.

Thank you for helping with this

This is a note I created and worked with on my iPad and, as I do not have a premium account, it only was working off the internet sync I believe?  

I did not use it on a computer nor do I remember seeing it on my computer.

It's disappearance was noticed after I synced to a computer (a week or so after when I was finally going back to it)

It is not found on my evernote web-based account

• Level 5*

OK, I am going to tag this as an iOS issue, so some other forum user with experience with iOS may be able to help you out. You should probably open an Evernote support request as well; see the link in my signature.

• 1 month later...

Is the evernote support automated?
I've been asked the same questions and to do the same things a few times over, or have been guided to try things that I don't think I would have been asked to do if the history of facts I've sent had been reviewed. It's becoming quite frustrating.

Anyone know if there's an evernote help phone line :P?

• Level 5*

Is the evernote support automated?

I've been asked the same questions and to do the same things a few times over, or have been guided to try things that I don't think I would have been asked to do if the history of facts I've sent had been reviewed. It's becoming quite frustrating.

Anyone know if there's an evernote help phone line :P?

No phone line. Sorry. Just write and tell support "Hey! I've already answered these questions, and I don't think your solutions are going to fix my problem. Could you read my case again and give me some different advice?"

My guess? Well, I am not customer support, but I am guessing there is no hope. If it didn't sync (I assume you were using a mobile device) then it may not be there. As much as I like Evernote, for important stuff, I try to have a backup plan, because things sometimes go wrong on mobile. Besides, the audio function is quite limited. If you are on iOS, I recommend the free app Recorder Pro. It is the only app I know of that is both free, and will run in the background, even if you are using other apps like Evernote at the same time. Also, I've never had a single problem with it after years of use (rare for an iOS app). You have all sorts of options for customizing it to your needs, you can easily sync to your home computer, and from there you can drag it into a note if you'd like.

• Level 5*

Evernote support, like a lot of support systems, does have a base set of things to try, and depending on your particular situation they'll ask you to do some subset of those (reinstalling Evernote is often the first thing recommended). They do this because these remedies work often enough to make them worthwhile, even if they don't work for you. As they rule things out, they may escalate you to a higher level of support person.

Evernote does provide online chat support for Premium Evernote subscribers; see https://evernote.com/contact/support/#/product/evernote. 

• 1 year later...

Dear Evernote team,

I have the same problem as many users seem to have encountered - contents within a notebook simply disappeared! I have experienced this once or twice before but thought I did something wrong but now having read the problem faced by other users, I think it is a program issue. I spent couple of hours creating a note and now it is gone. Very disappointed and leads to believe this program is not stable and robust enough to be depended on. Below are the technical details for your reference. 

1. Premium subscriber

2. Using a Sony Ultra - Android version 4.4.2

3. Note comprised mainly photos - taken with the Evernote capture option was offered within the Sony Camera application. 

4. I had wireless connection through out the time.

5. After the note was created, l logged off from the mobile and went to check on my Mac and while the notebook was there, contents disappeared. After a few minutes, contents on the mobile also disappeared. 

6. I'm using a Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core 8 GB Ram - OSX 10.9.3

7. Looked in the 'trash' on the web based Evernote and the missing content was not there.

8. The notebook was created as Private, offline.

I really like Evernote but it is scary to think that valuable content can just disappear! Please do something about this. 

Michael

Dear Evernote team,

I have the same problem as many users seem to have encountered - contents within a notebook simply disappeared! I have experienced this once or twice before but thought I did something wrong but now having read the problem faced by other users, I think it is a program issue. I spent couple of hours creating a note and now it is gone. Very disappointed and leads to believe this program is not stable and robust enough to be depended on. Below are the technical details for your reference. 

1. Premium subscriber

2. Using a Sony Ultra - Android version 4.4.2

3. Note comprised mainly photos - taken with the Evernote capture option was offered within the Sony Camera application. 

4. I had wireless connection through out the time.

5. After the note was created, l logged off from the mobile and went to check on my Mac and while the notebook was there, contents disappeared. After a few minutes, contents on the mobile also disappeared. 

6. I'm using a Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core 8 GB Ram - OSX 10.9.3

7. Looked in the 'trash' on the web based Evernote and the missing content was not there.

8. The notebook was created as Private, offline.

I really like Evernote but it is scary to think that valuable content can just disappear! Please do something about this. 

Michael

This is a user forum so you are not likely to receive a response or direct support from Evernote staff. You should contact support directly using the link in my signature.

• 3 months later...

First, log into the web at http://www.evernote.com to see if the proper note shows up there.

If it doesn't you may be out of luck unless you have a hard drive backup. You can locate your evernote database in the backup and restore it or a part of it. Search the forum for how to restore Evernote from a backup or check if any of the knowledge base articles offer enough info to help you restore from backup:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/search?query=backup

If you don't have a backup, I'm afraid you may be out of luck and you should probably think about setting up a backup... 

There may be more options if you give us information such as what version of evernote you are using on which device operating systems. 

I cannot find my note anywhere, even when logging on the web. Unfortunately, I have never backed up my evernote. So, should I assume my note is simply lost? I did not touch it and if I did delete it, it should be in my trash along with all my other documents. Is there no where else I can try to find it?

I am sorry to say that without a backup, there is nowhere I can think of to look for it. 

Evernote does seem to be quirky, while I've never experienced any data loss myself in over 4 years, there are plenty of reports of it on these forums. Sometimes user error, sometimes it is a bug with Evernote, sometimes both. All the more reason to keep a backup just in case Evernote screws up. It's truly unfortunate that you lost your data. That really shouldn't happen! 

Archived