(Archived) exb file corrupt - howto specify other database folder?

One of my exb's is corrupt, and I cannot delete it. Nor can I run a chkdsk /f, as Win XP say it cannot be run because the folder si in use. I then get the option to run at next reboot, but this doesn't work. Have tried also as administrator but to no avail.

Is it possible to specify another database location during install of Evernote? Or how could I force Evernote to accept another location (if I try to change folder location Evernote reports the file is damaged, so I cannot change it).

Seems I'm stuck on this and I see no way out :( Only possibiliy I haven't tried is to boot from a Linux distro and then delete the file from there. But a little reluctant to try this, as I fear this might damage the entire file system.

• Level 5*

Sounds like you have some problems.  Before you do anything else (and if you haven't already done so) I strongly recommend that you backup your whole hard drive; something is clearly wrong,  and you want to ensure that you don't lose the data you have.

Then:  do you have any local notebooks or unsynced notes?  If not you could simply uninstall Evernote (that alone might fix the 'in use' problem) then delete the EXB file and reinstall - allowing Evernote to replace your notebooks from the server.  Might take a while,  depending on the number of notes you have,  but easier than trying to change locations.

If you need to rescue local/ unsynced files from the EXB,  try exiting Evernote,  then close down from the system tray icon and run chkdsk /f again.

If you can't delete the EXB file try unlocker - it's a way to get around that annoying 'file is in use' error.

Hope that helps..

Sounds like you have some problems.  Before you do anything else (and if you haven't already done so) I strongly recommend that you backup your whole hard drive; something is clearly wrong,  and you want to ensure that you don't lose the data you have.

Then:  do you have any local notebooks or unsynced notes?  If not you could simply uninstall Evernote (that alone might fix the 'in use' problem) then delete the EXB file and reinstall - allowing Evernote to replace your notebooks from the server.  Might take a while,  depending on the number of notes you have,  but easier than trying to change locations.

If you need to rescue local/ unsynced files from the EXB,  try exiting Evernote,  then close down from the system tray icon and run chkdsk /f again.

If you can't delete the EXB file try unlocker - it's a way to get around that annoying 'file is in use' error.

Hope that helps..

Thanks Gazumbed, 

Have tried everything you say: Unlocker cannot fix the issue, a reinstall doesn't change things, chkdsk /f doesn't work and does not run at reboot even if specified. Quite annoying that you have no way to control the installation folder, as this could have solved the problem for me.

I have backup's so no risk of data loss - Evernote just cannot be brought to work for the particular windows user, so another option, however inconvenient, could be to move Evernote to a new Windows user.

• Level 5*

Due respect,  I think specifying the installation folder is academic at this stage.  Something fairly serious has gone on with your hard drive and unless/ until you fix that,  even a new installation might only be a temporary fix..

Does your computer have a rescue partition,  or do you have your original XP installation CDs?  If you have access to any local PC support I'd check out the "chkdsk won't run" issue.  It's possible you have a virus of some sort,  so you could use an online virus checker.

It's immodest,  off topic and comes with a "use this entirely at your own risk" wealth warning,  but I wrote a note about this a while ago - have a look at this suggestion.  (Not sure if all the links still work,  but you'll get the idea..)

If you're free of root kits and virii,  I'd still get your PC support (or any handy 11-year old these days) to have a look if chkdsk is still blocked!

• Level 5*

Chkdsk isn't used to detect files that are corrupt; it detects corruption at a much lower level, in the file system and below. If the file is corrupt because of some bug in the database code, then chkdsk will not be able to fix it.

Have you tried just renaming the current Evernote database folder, and starting up again? Once you've logged in, Evernote should just download your notes from the server.

IMO/IME, the only reason you would not be able to delete a file is if it's in use (IE, you've not fully exited Evernote, including any elephants in the system tray - use task manager/processes tab to confirm no Evernote processes still running) or permissions.  Having said all that, I would recommend simply renaming the exb file, rather than deleting it.  You can always delete it later, if you don't need it.

Archived