(Archived) EMERGENCY! Ipad Penultimate app updated and It won't open All my exam notes are in there for MONDAYS EXAM :(!

gretchenkline73

Hi I just figured out how to start a post. I had Penultimate on my Ipad 2 and I have used it for a year and been very happy with it. I have a note book for school with almost 800 pages in it and I use it for Nursing school.. I have an exam on Monday and THE APP IS NOT WORKING!!!!

When I tried to open penultimate before I had Evernote this morning, it gave me an option to log into an account or to proceed without logging in. Since I didn't have an account at that time I clicked on proceed without an account. It then popped up "PREPARING NOTEBOOKS", So I thought everything was ok. Well I was Wrong!! It just pops back to my home screen. I have tried many times and the same thing happens. I did just update to windows IOS 6.1 I believe (10 min ago) but it still won't work. I need to get these notes or I will FAIL my exam on Monday.. I am STRESSING OUT. Can anyone please help me or lead me in the right direction to the people who can? An email address, website anything. I am desperate right now. I tried the Ever Note website but couldn't find a place where I could email them. I Don't know what else to do right now and just feel like bursting out in tears. :(

Thanks in advance..... G

• Level 5*

Hi I just figured out how to start a post. I had Penultimate on my Ipad 2 and I have used it for a year and been very happy with it. I have a note book for school with almost 800 pages in it and I use it for Nursing school.. I have an exam on Monday and THE APP IS NOT WORKING!!!!

When I tried to open penultimate before I had Evernote this morning, it gave me an option to log into an account or to proceed without logging in. Since I didn't have an account at that time I clicked on proceed without an account. It then popped up "PREPARING NOTEBOOKS", So I thought everything was ok. Well I was Wrong!! It just pops back to my home screen. I have tried many times and the same thing happens. I did just update to windows IOS 6.1 I believe (10 min ago) but it still won't work. I need to get these notes or I will FAIL my exam on Monday.. I am STRESSING OUT. Can anyone please help me or lead me in the right direction to the people who can? An email address, website anything. I am desperate right now. I tried the Ever Note website but couldn't find a place where I could email them. I Don't know what else to do right now and just feel like bursting out in tears. :(

Thanks in advance..... G

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about this. I have no idea how Penultimate handles old notes I am afraid. App data ought to be backed up to iCloud or your computer (depending on which you use for your backup), so I think I would look there first. As for support (their email is in my signature below), but it is the weekend, and you are unlikely to receive help from customer support before your exam on Monday.

this is a huge problem. Will I loose all my client's records?!?

I wasn't using Evernote for auto-sync but was using Dropbox.

So I just transfered all notebooks from Dropbox to Evernote,

but to do this, I needed to upgrade Evernote to premium (so cost more)

I also transfered all notesbooks to my memory chip, just to be safe,

bcs if sync won't go nicely, I may loose all notes completely ???!!!

If I "X" current penultimate app from my ipad, then get another penultimate app from App shop,

woudl this wipe all my current note books?

If I "X" current penultimate app from my ipad, then get another penultimate app from App shop,

Yes if you delete the App it will delete the data... In theory this shouldn't be a problem as you should then be able to redownload from Dropbox into the new App (as this is still supported on a manual basis, so I understand*). Have you got a copy of the old penultimate ipa file in iTunes on your Mac or PC?

Here is a discussion re rolling back an App BUT ONLY ATTEMPT THIS if you know you have been syncing with Dropbox etc. as I think this will delete the data on the iPad.

*I'm still in iOS 5 so can't install this...

Yes if you delete the App it will delete the data... In theory this shouldn't be a problem as you should then be able to redownload from Dropbox into the new App (as this is still supported on a manual basis, so I understand*). Have you got a copy of the old penultimate ipa file in iTunes on your Mac or PC?

*I'm still in iOS 5 so can't install this...

thank you soo much to chime in, Mike. I used to save all notebooks to itune using Penaltimate app on ipad, but I can't use this app anymore after updated, so not sure how I can do this again.

But, Just to be sefe I had created another backups of all 101 notebooks in the memory stick as well.

It seems like I can only view notebook via Penultimate app on Ipad? I meant Penultimate app works only on ipad,

but not on iphone, Mac, etc correct?

So i have this problem of not being able to use the PU 4 update - it keeps crashing.

I have found PU 3.3.1 in the /music/itunes/Mobile Applications folder and copied it to my desktop.

Before I try and get that back to the iPad, I need to know how/where PU stores and manages notebooks that the user creates. Where are they? They are not in the PU .ipa file referred to above (I renamed my desktop copy to a zip extension and it opened when double clicked like a regular folder).

Anyone have any clues or pointers?

SO FRUSTRATED!

Having similar issues as the users above--legacy user with important data saved into Penultimate. I don't save my notebooks anywhere, I just back them up to my computer via iTunes--didn't even know you could link to Dropbox before reading this forum. With the new version of Penultimate, I've been caught in an infinite loop of panic:

1. Immediately after the update, the app no longer opened. So, I immediately backed up to iCloud via iTunes and then uninstalled it on my iPad and reinstalled it. The re-installed version opened, but all my notebooks were GONE! Not surprisingly though...if I delete the app, it deletes all my old data...

2. Well, thankful I backed up the Pad, I performed a system restore on the iPad from my latest backup, but the latest backup brings me back to the beginning of problem number 1 (app no longer opens...it opens, and immediately closes). So here I stay...at least with this restore it should theoretically have my old notebooks stored in there but just cannot open the app to view them, right?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this fixed, I'd really appreciate it. Even if that means sitting around until 4.0.1 is ready, I'll wait...meanwhile I guess I'll pick up a chisel and stone slab...

@R_tray - Have you searched your Mac or PC for an older .ipa file for this App. Unfortunately this is the only way you get back to the previous version.

I do back up my computer to an external drive fairly regularly so I'm gonna try to go in the archives and see if I can find the 3.3.1 ipa file and restore from that. Only problem is that my backup drive is at home and I'm traveling until Thursday so I'll report back then...

just chat/support with Evernote and Penultimate will launch another updated one in a couple of days.

Evernote is saying (together with Penultimate) that as long as you saved notebooks in dropbox or evernote,

you can re-install Penultimate and you won't loose notebooks (means, should be able to get back all notebooks form

dropbox or evernote backups). But I go very careful this time and will wait another updated penultimate.....

until then, I dont' wanna touch anything.......

Yes, the fix for the crash problem is on its way very soon. Also, please do not uninstall/reinstall--this will delete local data and remove your notes.

Some additional info when updating once we release the fix--if you have some significantly large files (I'm seeing some 750+mb notebooks) you're likely going to want to skip past the Evernote setup. Just "continue without an account" and go from there to get access faster.

Just some insight on the OP's situation and that it didn't fall on deaf ears. We had tried to reach out shortly after (probably about 2-3 hours) this post went online to do some emergency workarounds, but haven't been able to reach her. This doesn't take away from the issues everyone here is seeing, but in this instance we tried to work out the solution over the weekend and just weren't able to get in touch with the user. I hope she was able to do ok on her test.

Penultimate team that an update for this issue has been posted to the App Store.

Please update your app and let me know if this does the trick. Remember to update and NOT to reinstall.

This came from Evernote . It worked!!!!! All my notes are back.

I bet they didn't sleep a couple of nights to work this out?

Thank you soooooo much!!!!!

• 3 months later...

OMG.. PLEASE HELP! I just did a restore and LOST PENULTIMATE on 5.0.1 iPad 2. I went to reload it from the store and I am LOCKED OUT. It needs to be cross OS compatible. PLEASE. How do I get Penultimate back so I can access my critical drawings and notes? I NEED THEM FOR BUSINESS. Why would you lock out a paying customer? Please tell me what I can do to get my notes back? Is it possible to email me a .DEB file (such as my old flawless release) or whatever remains compatible with 5.0? I can SSH to the root of my iPad and put it into the directory directly. I know it is possible for you to do this. my email is Robert>@<RobertBohen.com. THANK YOU!!!

Archived