How to restore local notebooks/files after reinstalling MAC OS

Bjorninou

Idea

Hello,

I had to reinstall MAC OS after it crushed, unfortunately I was unable to export anything from Evernote. I was able to backup my old Library though.

So here is what I have:

- library/application support/accounts/evernote directory

- library/coredata/com.evernote.Evernote/bunch of numbers and letters/ENNote/_records

I have many other folders so maybe I am missing something.

Now how can I recover the local notebooks from the Library backup? There should be a way I guess.

Thanks,

Bjorn

11 replies to this idea

Which version did you install? The direct download or the app store? The two versions store local notes differently, so could be the reason you can't find your local files if you installed say the DDL version over the Mac App store version.

Since you're working through this, I would contact customer support to ensure you get back everything pre-crash and specific steps are followed. Hit the link in my signature.

But did you install the direct download version over a Mac Store version? That's where issues with local notebooks come into play.

Again, I would contact support to ensure you follow specific directions to ensure that you don't run into any data loss.

now I installed a fresh version that I downloaded online, the same version that I used on my previous OS X install, it was an older version that I updated to 5.0.4 just as I did before

I already contacted the support, thank you for your help!

I'm a premium member with this same issue.  I've contacted support, but so far they either haven't been able to help, or they have been oddly non-responsive.  I note other users have this issue and are frustrated.

Have they been non-responsive, or have they responded but in a way you don't find satisfying. Very different situations with very different approaches needed. 

You can restore your local notebooks (and the notes within them) by navigating to your computer's backup (you have one of those right? Please tell me you do... TimeMachine makes this process so easy), and recovering them from there. There are a lot of posts on here about recovering from backups, so a quick search should set you on the correct track. 

If you have NOT received ANY response from support, and it has been a fairly large number of business days, post your support ticket # here and we'll flag it for staff attention. 

If you HAVE received a personal (not automated) response from Evernote support, then you'll have to tough it out as they walk you through the very most basic troubleshooting before they get into the meat of the problem. 

• Level 5*

@CheryID:  Did EN Support ever provide you with a solution to restoring your Local Notebooks?

If so, could you please post here as other users are having the same issue.

Thanks.

I'm a premium member with this same issue.  I've contacted support, but so far they either haven't been able to help, or they have been oddly non-responsive.  I note other users have this issue and are frustrated.

No, I still do not have my local notebooks.  EN support provided me with some responses which weren't satisfying because they didn't work.  After a couple tries at solving my issue they became completely non-responsive.  I have given up waiting for any kind of response - seriously, this issue cropped up in August it is now December 10 and year-end is looming.  So now I am using all that 'extra free time' no-one has during the holidays/year-end to re-build my files.  Clearly I am still frustrated with EN.

• Level 5*

@CheryID:   Sorry to hear that.  You might try just one more time contacting EN Support.  Another user was having similar issues and just reported that Support was quick to reply and helpful.  You might try submitting a new ticket to hopefully get support from the same person as the other user.

I'm actually in the same boat.  My hard drive became corrupt and while I've been doing time machine backups, I just want to move my Notebooks over to the currently installed Evernote.  There was a comment above that apparently there have been instances of trouble when someone downloads from the App Store then installs a version directly from Evernote.com, thats what happened to me and may explain why I had so much trouble previously.  That said, I have an immense amount of critical data stored in local Notebooks that I absolutely must restore but I'm having trouble finding them.  File structures are different between the two versions which is disappointing but also it would appear that data types are different too.

I'm looking and hoping for a reasonably straight forward solution to this but maybe I'm being unrealistic?

Thoughts?

• Level 5*

@JimN7:  Based on your description, here my thoughts on how you might resolve the issue of your lost Local Notebooks:

1. Do a full sync of EN Mac, and verify on EN Web
  2. Do a full backup of your current EN Mac, including the Evernote data folder
  3. Rename your current Evernote folder and app
  4. Restore your TM backup of the Evernote folder and app from the backup that you know the EN Local Notebooks were last available
  5. Export to ENEX all of your Local NBs, each NB to a separate ENEX file, and be sure to check the "Include Tags" box.
  6. Delete the Evernote app and data folder you just restored
  7. Restore the original name of the files/folders you renamed in Step #3
  8. Import the ENEX files you exported in Step #5

Please review these steps carefully, and make sure you fully understand before you begin.

If you have any questions, post here.

I'm actually in the same boat.  My hard drive became corrupt and while I've been doing time machine backups, I just want to move my Notebooks over to the currently installed Evernote.  There was a comment above that apparently there have been instances of trouble when someone downloads from the App Store then installs a version directly from Evernote.com, thats what happened to me and may explain why I had so much trouble previously.  That said, I have an immense amount of critical data stored in local Notebooks that I absolutely must restore but I'm having trouble finding them.  File structures are different between the two versions which is disappointing but also it would appear that data types are different too.

I'm looking and hoping for a reasonably straight forward solution to this but maybe I'm being unrealistic?

Thoughts?

Archived