(Archived) Sync Is Still Taking Too Long - RESOLVED

C6REW

Hi All,

For the record:

Windows 7

Evernote 4.6.1.77772 PR

Some, if not most of you reading this will be aware of my problems regarding moving over to the Business account.

The temporary solution to those problems has been for me to set up a new user in my business and start using that person instead. So far so good!

I did find that I could not then add an 'Import Folder' to an existing Notebook which belongs to my original user (me) as it started to add all the currently linked documents. Makes sense when you think about it! So I 'un-joined' the two important folders and created two new ones. Word 2011 and Word 2012. I also found that I could not join two Notebooks together as it just never synced to the Web.

The whole system has been up and running since yesterday evening and all night, with a sync set up for every 30 minutes.

Problem is that every sync is now taking over 1 hour. It is the two new notebooks for my documents in 2011 and 2012 that are causing the problem. As mentioned on another thread, I can see each note counting one at a time on the Activity Log. There are just over 1,100 notes in those notebooks and I have another 400 to add once I can catch the system not syncing!

Why would it do this every time? I understand that it has to do it once for the original upload but not every time. Both Notebooks are on the web.

Any ideas before I raise another ticket?

Regards

Chris

Hmmm,

Loads of 'Skipping' and 'Failed To Import' of docs in the Activity Log.

Then later on they seem to be sync'd fine.

Just reading through the Activity Log I am beginning to wonder if this is something to do with my original user name still trying to sync, Linked Notebooks. Will go back on that account and take away all the Links shortly.

Regards

Chris

Went into the 'original user' and removed all the linked 'Import Folders'. It took just over the hour to sync, but it did not have any 'Skipping' or 'Failed To Import' lines in the Activity Log.

Will try again shortly and see how long it takes this time around!

Regards

Chris

Having had to delete half of a notebook along with the 'Import Folder' link, sync then re set it all. I am pleased to report that a sync which uploaded over 300 word documents took 23 minutes.

So looks to me like it is all now working fine.

The important thing to note if you are having any problems is there may just be something in a notebook that is causing a problem. Looking at the 'Activity Log' is so useful.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5

Having had to delete half of a notebook along with the 'Import Folder' link, sync then re set it all. I am pleased to report that a sync which uploaded over 300 word documents took 23 minutes.

So looks to me like it is all now working fine.

The important thing to note if you are having any problems is there may just be something in a notebook that is causing a problem. Looking at the 'Activity Log' is so useful.

Best regards

Chris

I've read your posts, but I don't see how you figured out the solution to delete half of a notebook along with the 'Import Folder' link. Was there something concrete and specific in the Activity Log that nailed down the solution?

Or did Evernote Business support give you the solution?

Hi jbenson,

No contact with business support on this one. I could see some anomalies in the log. As mentioned the 'skipping' and 'failed to import' seemed to be on files in the specific notebook.

Using the information I had learnt over the last couple of weeks I had realised that errors in specific notebooks could cause some very bizarre events.

So it seemed an obvious thing to delete the notebooks, delete the import links. Sync, then set them up again. Voila it worked!

Getting a dab hand at this Business Evernote malarkey!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5

So it seemed an obvious thing to delete the notebooks, delete the import links. Sync, then set them up again. Voila it worked!

Obvious to some people. :)

I'm glad that you were able to solve it.

@C6REW,

Pure speculation on my part, but doesn't it feel like the same syndrome of a hard disk retrying a long list of bad sectors incessantly, while copying a big file thus making the operation take an hour instead of a few minutes? I wonder if you deleted a bunch of items Evernote spent a huge amount of time retrying during a Sync and that's why it's sync'ing properly now. I'm sure they must have logs. It would be interesting to know if that's what was happening. Glad you're up and running again!

You're a true Evernote Business pioneer. Also known as, the one who gets all the arrows in the back. :)

-- roschler

Archived