(Archived) How to (re)-import local notebooks?

I had an issue in which the Trash folder showed (1) item while nothing was actually in it. I contacted Evernote Support and was recommended to throw away my copy of Evernote and reupload from a link I got form them. This worked, and now the empty Trash folder correctly shows (0) items.

But..... my local notebooks have disappeared. (I guess the new copy of Evernote imported everything back by syncing with the cloud as opposed to from the hardisk).

Where are my local notebooks? How do I recover them?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

PS: I contacted support about this but they do not respond (?). Hence my hope this forum will be able to help. /DS.

• Level 5*

Do you have a backup of your original database? Local notebooks are not synced to the servers at Evernote, so can't be restored from there. You could have exported local notebooks to back them up, or taken a copy of the whole database.

As Metrodon & Gazumped pointed out, you would need to export the local/non-synced notes from the old database & import them into the new one. Every instance I've seen from EN support includes this instruction when suggesting you re-download your notes.

Thanks for the responses.

I was not instructed to back up so I did not.

I did exactly as I was told by the support team.

Have I lost the local notebooks?

They must be somewhere in the hardisk.

This sucks!

Carlos

They do not tell you to backup - that's not the verbiage they use - although IMO, that's pretty much a given, especially when you have local notebooks. I can't imagine having important stuff on my computer & NOT backing it up, regardless what app it is. (Backups have been discussed at great length on this board - please use the search function, should you need more info.)

This is the verbiage that I took from one of my support tickets. IME, every time they instruct you to uninstall Evernote & redownload your database, this is included.

This one taken from an email sent January 2010 (nearly three years ago):

*If you do have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes."

This one taken from an email sent last month, November 2012:

"First: In Evernote:

If you do have any Local Only notebooks or unsynced notes, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes."

If you did this step, then you just need to import the enex file you created.

If you did not do this step & you do not have a backup of your database, unfortunately, you've lost your local notes.

• Level 5*
Have I lost the local notebooks?

Unless you can find an export or a backup, then, sadly you've probably lost the information.

They must be somewhere in the hardisk.

Your original Evernote database file (or folder) would have been the place where these notebooks were stored - also check your hard drive and your recycle bin to see what's there, and search for 'recover deleted files/ folders' help on the internet for your OS to see if there's any chance of recovering data. There's only an outside chance - any deleted files are quickly overwritten by new information - but it's worth examining all the options before you totally give up hope...

Archived