3 ways to start going Paperless

joomux

Hi Ever-fans!

It's the 30-day paperless challenge at the moment and that's an awesome idea, by the way.

When I found out about the challenge I was actually in the final stages of writing up a post on going paperless. Of course, there's plenty of mentions of Evernote.

Anyway, I'm keen to hear your feedback on my post. Did I miss anything? Did I give you an idea or two (or three)? Was it helpful?

The post is here: http://www.cloudproductivity.net/3-ways-to-go-paperless/

Thanks!

I might have a quibble about the hand notes. There's an old saying about the hand having a memory. Sometimes hand notes can stick with you better than typing. A case in point is making flash cards for memory work (say for learning a foreign language). I have found that just hand writing the notes can cause some words to get instantly learned with no effort beyond the writing. For some reason this doesn't work with typing. I can zone my mind out of the loop in typing in a way that doesn't happen with writing.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting point, this may be a good use for the Livescribe pen and it's ability to have it's pages automatically sent and stored in Evernote. I purchased a Livescribe pen, the 4 gb model and a pack of 5 notebooks. I must say that I'am impressed and, once you have it set up, every time I connect the pen to the Livescribe desktop software it automatically sends a copy to my Evernote account. For most of my attempts at poetry I have to write with a pen as opposed to typing. Now no more lost notebooks or pieces of paper. Every time I get home I sink to my computer. You might want to investigate this product. As a two month user I'm quite impressed.

@Candid - you're 100% right. Writing is much better for learning and (brain) memory than typing. Where it makes sense to type instead of write is for things like shopping lists, notes etc etc where you don't need to be able to recall the content off the top of your head.

@s30311 - I've also heard great things about the live scribe and your comments makes me even more tempted to go get one. Imagine... using the Live Scribe with the new Evernote Moleskins - capturing exactly what you've written as text and photo. Awesome!

I've typed stuff for so many years it seems to have the same link as writing for me. I also use mind-maps - and i find they have to be done on a computer otherwise the process of developing them is too painful to recall the information. I'm intrigued by the LiveScribe and have been for some time. Now, if it could transcibe the audio recording to text and add it to the note, I'd buy one like a shot.

I might have a quibble about the hand notes. There's an old saying about the hand having a memory. Sometimes hand notes can stick with you better than typing. A case in point is making flash cards for memory work (say for learning a foreign language). I have found that just hand writing the notes can cause some words to get instantly learned with no effort beyond the writing. For some reason this doesn't work with typing. I can zone my mind out of the loop in typing in a way that doesn't happen with writing.

Totally agree. Try as I might, I just can't get into typed "remember me" type notes. It's not a deficiency in Evernote, more or a deficiency in my brain!

I've committed to a paperless life, but I just can't let go of the short, hand written notes around my desk.

At least I don't stick a bunch of post-its to my computer monitor though. That's the ultimate no-no. B)

• 5 years later...
On 9/12/2012 at 7:24 AM, TechBarber said:

Totally agree. Try as I might, I just can't get into typed "remember me" type notes. It's not a deficiency in Evernote, more or a deficiency in my brain!

I've committed to a paperless life, but I just can't let go of the short, hand written notes around my desk.

At least I don't stick a bunch of post-its to my computer monitor though. That's the ultimate no-no. B)

Archived