(Archived) HELP: Confirmation of "automatic queuing in import folders"

I was reading http://discussion.ev...r-upload-limit/ as I'm approaching my free user monthly upload limit. I'm a pretty new free user and so I'm still finding my Evernote feet and honing my workflow.

So here's my question: I think I've found a really useful feature of import folders. Right now I just have the one set up which imports everything I drop into it to my default "_inbox" notebook. I've ticked the delete when imported checkbox. I'm very close to my limit - just 400k or 500k left - and I've noticed that as I continue to drop files into my import folder Evernote (EN) imports those that are small enough to get under the remaining upload limit, and deletes them of course, but is leaving those that are too large in the folder. I'm anticipating that when my new upload period starts in a few days EN will then import those larger items too.

Am I right to anticipate that? Am I right in believing that EN will effectively manage my import queue for me and hence I can scan documents and drop files without worrying about the upload limit knowing that EN will catchup when it has capacity? *

* It appears that the limitation to this "automatic queuing" feature is that items arriving via other methods than the import folder - ie via email or imported directly into EN via the interface etc - may still cause problems with exceeding limits, but otherwise is my understanding sound?

By the way is there a better thread than the one linked to above regarding exactly what does happen if you exceed your limit? Whilst I'm still experimenting and finding my way I'm taking great care that nothing gets lost on its way into EN, but in the future when I'm managing my wife's business as well as my home paperlessly via EN I need to be confident that items are not being quietly "lost" without my knowing.

First post. Be gentle!

Stuart

aka SomeBizzare

• Level 5*

Hi SB, welcome to the Forums. I don't know that there's much information around to help you safely ***** the last drop of capacity out of the upload limit. Most of us have fallen over the limit from time to time, and many have lost some data as a result; so the wisest course would appear to be - when you get close to the limit, just stop. It really isn't meant to be a challenge, it's a cap. And as you already noted, emails, edits and uploads all affect your limit, if you go beyond which ~bad things can happen~.

My best advice would be - once you get close, put information into a local folder and wait for your limit to refresh. Anything else leaves you subject to random data loss.

Darn! I got censored! The pretty little asterisks above refer to a short anglo-saxon word defined as "a short, slender, sharp-pointed metal pin with a raised helical thread running around it and a slotted head, used to join things" but the word can also be used to mean "extract" - amongst other things, aparently :wub:

It really isn't meant to be a challenge, it's a cap.
I totally get what you're saying there. I realise that if the limit is an ongoing issue then of course the responsible thing to do is sign up for premium and remove it. And as is the case with many "lite" products I can accept that the transition almost needs to be a little bumpy to encourage me to take the plunge.
My best advice would be - once you get close, put information into a local folder and wait for your limit to refresh. Anything else leaves you subject to random data loss.
That's actually what I had done when I noticed the apparent "automatic queuing" of import folders ... I wonder if anyone else can comment on whether this is in fact a reliable feature. If so I don't need a separate local queue folder which I have to manually transfer into an import folder as you describe. it'd be nice to know :)

Darn! I got censored! The pretty little asterisks above refer to a short anglo-saxon word defined as "a short, slender, sharp-pointed metal pin with a raised helical thread running around it and a slotted head, used to join things" but the word can also be used to mean "extract" - amongst other things, aparently :wub:

Haha, that's an overzealous auto-censor.

• Level 5*

I wouldn't, in general, depend on this behavior, but you should be able to force it by turning off import of that folder, and then turning it back on.

I wouldn't, in general, depend on this behavior, but you should be able to force it by turning off import of that folder, and then turning it back on.

Thanks Jeff. That would seem to ensure predictable behaviour. Thanks for thinking it through for me!

Archived